Cold Water Backfeeding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Water Backfeeding?

Last weekend I was working on my hotwater tank and when I finished and was getting ready to refill the system I noticed the following. I had the supply vavle off to the tank and when I turn the house supply on there was water coming back into the tank from the hot line. I had faucets opened around the house so I had my wife close them all. I thought maybe it the water was "crossing over" into the hot and going back to the tank. But after all the faucets were closed it was still happening.
    My only thoughts are can it backfeed through a washing machine? Also I have a tempering valve at the hotwater tank which I just installed.
    Advice would be great!!

Re: Cold Water Backfeeding?

Tempering valve? Is this a boiler with a tankless coil or a tank W.H. We need pictures of the new valve plumbing
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

if you have older moen valves with brass cartridges #1200, these will cross over and not actually leak at the faucet.

a washing machine valve will only cross over if the machine is in operation.

not too sure about a tempering valve crossing over. i doubt it though.

some of the newer pressure balancing valves can cross over if they are dirty or sticky.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The tempering valve is being used because I have a coil in my coal furnace and I want to have some control on the water temp. I do not have any Moen units. I do have a Kohler unit in the shower. This is a 2 handle unit one is for water volume and the other is for water temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Kungur View Post
          Last weekend I was working on my hotwater tank and when I finished and was getting ready to refill the system I noticed the following. I had the supply vavle off to the tank and when I turn the house supply on there was water coming back into the tank from the hot line. I had faucets opened around the house so I had my wife close them all. I thought maybe it the water was "crossing over" into the hot and going back to the tank. But after all the faucets were closed it was still happening.
          My only thoughts are can it backfeed through a washing machine? Also I have a tempering valve at the hotwater tank which I just installed.
          Advice would be great!!
          Where is the supply valve located in relation to the tempering valve?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I'm guessing hot and cold have always been reversed. When it heats up which one gets warm?

Comment

"When it heats up which one gets hot" I think you are refering to the tempering valve. The "mixed" line gets hot. Also the "hot in" or unmixed.
              I hope I am explaining this correctly.
              Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X