Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about clay pipe

Hi
    I wanted to hook up a sump pump .I found a leader on the house and it connects to a cast iron ell. The ell connects to an old clay hub pipe. It looks like its cemented into the pipe.Ive never worked with clay pipe and was wondering if someone here has.Is it possible to make a hole in the pipe underground or do I to have cut a piece out and put a no hub tee in? Id like to hook into the storm drain so the water doesnt go all over the side of the house. The pipe is three feet down im guessing it wont freeze. Im an hvac guy and dont know clay. Can some one help....thank's
    Rich.

Re: Anyone know about clay pipe

You can use a grinder with a stone or masonary blade to make a hole in the clay. A carbide or diamond hole saw will also work.

Comment

Thank's Highland , I'll try just making a hole and see how it goes..

Comment

You may also want to consider ( http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexi...le-tap-saddles )
        a saddle for a good (root/dirt free) connection.

Fernco does not sell 4" but for some reason I remember seeing one some where????
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

is this connected to the sanitary system?

Comment

Here's a link to a page about point repairs from a clay pipe manufacturer: http://www.loganclaypipe.com/pp_pointrepairs.html

Comment

With clay there is usually a hub every 3', so if you crack a section, you have to go 3' to the next hub. Ferco also sells Clay to CI/PVC mission bands. You'd have to grind the hub of to go that route. Just get a grinder with a diamond blade and you'll cut through like butter. I deal with clay pipe a lot and the inspectors around always want a Fernco coupling (usually a no-shear version with the metal shield). IMO that would be the best alternative.

Also, Is the clay coming up vertical or is it horizontal? What size is the clay pipe? 4" or 6". If it's 6" I usually stub the 4" into the 6" about a foot .

-Chris

Comment

Working...
              X