Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

how do you unfreeze a 246 soil pipe cutter?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you unfreeze a 246 soil pipe cutter?

Hi, I jammed up my 246 soil pipe cutter and I need to unjam it. Basically I ratcheted it to tight and the outer arms are jammed against the ratchet hub. The open procedures are locked out (nothing will move) and I'm reluctent to do any forcing. I don't have an IPB so if you can help please be specific. Thanks in advance J M----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Re: how do you unfreeze a 246 soil pipe cutter?

Use a 4" grinder and remove the link pin heads. Then drive out the pin
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i jammed my cutters up about 2 wks. ago , i took 2 pipe wrenchs to them with some force they came unjammed. ive done this several times with no problem, spray down with wd-40.

Comment

i have the same exact problem . OP, did any of the solutions work? i wish they were more descriptive.

Comment

Originally posted by leak1 View Post
          i jammed my cutters up about 2 wks. ago , i took 2 pipe wrenchs to them with some force they came unjammed. ive done this several times with no problem, spray down with wd-40.
          where did you use the pipe wrench? on the rachet arm? adjustment bulb? thanks in advance

Comment

I have the same exact problem .
            Tmart com LED Search Results Security Surveillance Electronics Toys Hobbies Computers Networking Car Accessories Laptops Accessories Cell Phones Cameras Photo Video Games Health Beauty Home, Office Garden Sports Outdoors Flashlights Lamps Laser Pointers Holiday Supplies Gifts Apple Accessories Apparel Clearance.

Comment

My 246 has snap rings on the ends of the pins which are easily removed.
              Once this is complete, the pin can be driven out with a brass drift.
              This will usually allow you to loosen the adjusting screw and put back together.
              you may have to play with the knob to get it to turn.
              I use liberal amounts of WD40, through out the process, except when reassembling, I used wheel bearing grease-'cause it was on the shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                This will usually allow you to loosen the adjusting screw and put back together.
                I use liberal amounts of WD40, through out the process, except when reassembling, I used wheel bearing grease-'cause it was on the shelf.
                thanks in advance. i find myself somewhat mechanically capable and don't like asking for help but i am stuck on this one!

which pin are you referring to on this diagram
                http://www.ridgid.com/CatalogDocs/246.pdf

Comment

just to clarify, which pin are you referring to here on this schematic
                  http://www.ridgid.com/CatalogDocs/246.pdf

Comment

thanks for the reply
                    are you referring to the pin that is on the eyebolt? or is there another pin (eg. on the CatalogDoc 246 pdf exploded view)which you can refer to?

Comment

Originally posted by blantant View Post
                      thanks for the reply
                      are you referring to the pin that is on the eyebolt? or is there another pin (eg. on the CatalogDoc 246 pdf exploded view)which you can refer to?
                      I am referring to the center pin #34445.

Comment

Put the soil pipe cutter's lower portion in a vise. The portion where the Hook assembly and the Chain assembley are attached to the tool. The Ratchet handle housing should be at the top. Put the directional arrow pointing toward the words OPEN on the Housing. Now, push the Handle in the direction the arrow is pointing. This may take a lot of force which may require a cheater over the handle.

If this fails, please feel free to send back to the RIDGID Factory Service Center. The address is:
                        RIDGID Factory Service Center
                        321 Sumner Street
                        Elyria, OH 44035

Thank you,
                        RIDGID Factory Service Center

Comment

Working...
                        X