Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving me nuts

Hello all members
    Newbie here from Canada.I would consider myself to be a fairly knowledgeable home handyman but I am no expert for sure.I have an above average set of tools than the average homeowner as well.Not trying to be a pain,just a little backround.Now the problem!This only seems to happen when the cooler weather starts,but not 100 percent on this,it's still above freezing though here.We had a pressure reducer and gas fired hot water tank replaced in 2007.It is a Bradford White 40 gal tank.Now we had this problem with the old hotwater tank and reducer,and it has come back.The work that was done was performed by a professional plumber.There is a very audiable humming sound that seems to be coming from the cold water input pipe to the hot water tank.you can here it in the upstaire and downstairs of our house.It is not what I would call a water hammer noise but the sound goes away if you leave the cold or hot water tap running slightly.I checked the water pressure at the inside facuets in the bathrooms and they measure a little above 40 psi.I measured the pressure at a hose bib outside thta is before the reducer and it measured I think 70 plus.I am using a good quality preassure gauge with the correct fittings.The gauge does point down towards the sink when I do this.I really need a diagnosis and do not want to get ripped off having this fixed if unable to do it myself
    Many,Many,Thanks
    petesoldsaw

Re: Driving me nuts

That could be alot of things in my opinion.

Heat trap nipple in the water heater for whatever reason.

Valve leaking at a toilet somewhere.

Creep in the Pressure Reducing Valve.

J.C.

Comment

heat trap nipples or the rubber check disc at the tank boss.

also if you use a corrigated flex connector like the stainless we use here, they will create a harmonic humm when flowing full force.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

......i agree with the heat trap theory. they can be a real pia at times.

Comment

Okay, Thank You for your replies!What is a heat trap nipple?Are they replaceable?Waht is a check disc?Is it replaceable?I am pretty sure the toilet vave is not leaking.We only hear the huming noise when all taps are off and none of the water using appliances are in operation.If I crack open the a tap at a faucet the noise will stop.Turn the faucet off and it starts back up.Hope this may help a bit more.
          Thanks in Advance
          petesoldsaw

Comment

Okay fellas alittle update to my problem.Temperature has gone up quite a bit outside and no huming.Very Strange
            Lawrence

Comment

This honestly does not make a lot of sense to me. In my experience:

Flow can cause noise. i.e. leaks, obstruction in pipe, normal flow.

Expansion can cause noise very briefly after maximum pressure/expansion is achieved. Then can cycle back down.

But...a steady humming with no water running/leaking that is controlled by outside temperature-doesnt' seem to make sense.

Is your water meter outside in the ground? Have you checked it?

Do you have any type of heat system related to the water heater? Pumps?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks JC's plumbing for your reply.No the hotwater is not used for anything but the hot water at the faucets,dishwasher and washing machine.We are not on metered water.Lucky US, for now!
                Thanks
                petesoldsaw

Comment

Originally posted by petesoldsaw View Post
                  Hello all members
                  Newbie here from Canada.I would consider myself to be a fairly knowledgeable home handyman but I am no expert for sure.I have an above average set of tools than the average homeowner as well.Not trying to be a pain,just a little backround.Now the problem!This only seems to happen when the cooler weather starts,but not 100 percent on this,it's still above freezing though here.We had a pressure reducer and gas fired hot water tank replaced in 2007.It is a Bradford White 40 gal tank.Now we had this problem with the old hotwater tank and reducer,and it has come back.The work that was done was performed by a professional plumber.There is a very audiable humming sound that seems to be coming from the cold water input pipe to the hot water tank.you can here it in the upstaire and downstairs of our house.It is not what I would call a water hammer noise but the sound goes away if you leave the cold or hot water tap running slightly.I checked the water pressure at the inside facuets in the bathrooms and they measure a little above 40 psi.I measured the pressure at a hose bib outside thta is before the reducer and it measured I think 70 plus.I am using a good quality preassure gauge with the correct fittings.The gauge does point down towards the sink when I do this.I really need a diagnosis and do not want to get ripped off having this fixed if unable to do it myself
                  Many,Many,Thanks
                  petesoldsaw
                  You state "it has come back" above. Does this mean that at one time it was not present during your colder months?

Pressure does not seem to be the problem based on the PSI you state.

Does it do this "humming" constantly-non stop-during the colder times until you open a faucet somewhere?

Or does it cycle? Could it be a cycling vibration caused by the heat system?

Reaching.

J.C.
                  http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/ima...s/rolleyes.gif

Comment

A pirate walks into a bar, and he's got a steering wheel sticking out of his pants.
                    The bartender asks, "Hey, what's that steering wheel doing there?"
                    The pirate says, "Aaarrrr, it's driving me nuts."

Comment

Dairylander,Good to put some humor into a little problem.Thanks that's a good one!
                      petesoldsaw

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        You state "it has come back" above. Does this mean that at one time it was not present during your colder months?

Pressure does not seem to be the problem based on the PSI you state.

Does it do this "humming" constantly-non stop-during the colder times until you open a faucet somewhere?

Or does it cycle? Could it be a cycling vibration caused by the heat system?

Reaching.

J.C.
                        http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/ima...s/rolleyes.gif
                        JC. Yes it was not present in colder months after we had the hot water tank replaced and the pressure regulator replaced where the city water line enters your house and is installed there to ower the pressure before it goes to the rest of the house.Yes the noise is present in the colder temperatures till you open a faucet or any appliance that uses water.We are on natural gas forced air heat and the noise is not caused by this
                        Thanks
                        Lawrence

Comment

JCsPlumbing
                          When you get a minute could you look at my last reply in the thread
                          Thanks
                          petesoldsaw

Comment

1) Heat trap nipples can be in your heater. At the entrance and the exit sometimes. They have a little flapper or the dreaded weighted balls. Supposed to deter energy loss but I consider them pretty much useless. They can cause restriction that's noticed by the resident and can cause noise through the turbulence of water going over them. They can be replaced or removed.

2) Do you have a working house shutoff for the water? Not at the meter but at the house? If so, turn it off when things are "humming" and report back.

3) Take some pictures of your water heater setup, pressure reducing valve, and incoming water if you can. You can put it in your post and I or someone else might be able to help if they see a picture.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                            X