Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No water pressure for 1 minute then pump kicks in....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No water pressure for 1 minute then pump kicks in....

Hi Gang,
    I have a dug well in the basement that is about 10 feet deep. From the pump the line goes to a pressure tank (w/ bladder) then the softener, then filter, then UV light. From here one line goes to the RO and another to the hot ater tank and then another off to the rest of the house for the cold feed. I have one pressure gauge just past the pressure tank and another that is further down for the cold water feed to the rest of the house.
    The problem I have is that at one point, anywhere in the house the water (hot and cold) will drop to zero. Then a minute or two later the pump will kick in and everything is fine. The strange thing is that both pressure gauges show 38-40 pounds. I have played with the settings on the pump and no matter what is tried the pressure still goes to nothing. Right now the pressure builds to 50 pounds and will go below 40 before the pump kicks in. The tank pressure is at 28 pounds.
    One would expect pressure when both guages read around 40 pounds right?
    Any thoughts?

Re: No water pressure for 1 minute then pump kicks in....

Call a plumber or well contractor. It involves working with the power. Can't advise further.

Good Luck.

J.C.

Comment

The first thought I would have is the pressure switch,

and just because a gage says some thing does not nessarly mean it is reading correctly, especially if it has been installed on a working system, for some time.

iF the pressure drops to near nothing and there is a time delay and then the pump kicks on, and it builds up pressure and shuts off,
      (my guess is the differential is set up wide or the switch just is not working correctly), but you say the pump pumps up to #50 and off at #40, #40 is not that low of pressure,

so the question I have is if it is dropping at the pump and switch or NOT,
      if you have working pressure after the pump and switch, then one of you many water conditioning systems must have a problem in them that is restricting flow or some thing,

I would probably do two things.
      One make sure the gages are reading correctly, and working correctly, (buy a new gage and place on system, (I have seen gages where they would not read correctly or drop down and stick, if that is what is happening in other words mess up), and I would probably put on a new switch, (if it is not the switch then you have a working spare,
      which I would carry on hand any way).

I would probably if there is not all ready there Tee in the system before all the water conditioning systems so you can make an assessment of the pump and pressure tank or tanks, with out having to go through all the conditioning systems, (many times outside water is tided in before all the conditioning systems), at least one can get a port to test the pump and tank system.

DO your conditioning systems have by pass valves, IF they do open them up and by pass the conditioning systems one by one or all of them and see if the condition still exists, If it does, fix the proplem, not then it is in one of the many conditioning systems you have on line.

tank pressure 2 psig below the pressure switch pump cut-in setting.
      (Example, and you have a pressure switch setting of 30/50 psig, adjust
      precharge of your tank to 28 psig.
      http://www.amtrol.com/pdf/9015A290revcWXT.pdf

As said above if your unsure of your skills and ability's call in some who knows how to work with the systems, electricity and water is a dangerous mix,
      before adjusting or working on any thing electrical shut off the power to the systems.
      Last edited by BHD; 11-17-2009, 10:59 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        The first thought I would have is the pressure switch,

and just because a gage says some thing does not nessarly mean it is reading correctly, especially if it has been installed on a working system, for some time.

iF the pressure drops to near nothing and there is a time delay and then the pump kicks on, and it builds up pressure and shuts off,
        (my guess is the differential is set up wide or the switch just is not working correctly), but you say the pump pumps up to #50 and off at #40, #40 is not that low of pressure,

so the question I have is if it is dropping at the pump and switch or NOT,
        if you have working pressure after the pump and switch, then one of you many water conditioning systems must have a problem in them that is restricting flow or some thing,

I would probably do two things.
        One make sure the gages are reading correctly, and working correctly, (buy a new gage and place on system, (I have seen gages where they would not read correctly or drop down and stick, if that is what is happening in other words mess up), and I would probably put on a new switch, (if it is not the switch then you have a working spare,
        which I would carry on hand any way).

I would probably if there is not all ready there Tee in the system before all the water conditioning systems so you can make an assessment of the pump and pressure tank or tanks, with out having to go through all the conditioning systems, (many times outside water is tided in before all the conditioning systems), at least one can get a port to test the pump and tank system.

DO your conditioning systems have by pass valves, IF they do open them up and by pass the conditioning systems one by one or all of them and see if the condition still exists, If it does, fix the proplem, not then it is in one of the many conditioning systems you have on line.

tank pressure 2 psig below the pressure switch pump cut-in setting.
        (Example, and you have a pressure switch setting of 30/50 psig, adjust
        precharge of your tank to 28 psig.
        http://www.amtrol.com/pdf/9015A290revcWXT.pdf

As said above if your unsure of your skills and ability's call in some who knows how to work with the systems, electricity and water is a dangerous mix,
        before adjusting or working on any thing electrical shut off the power to the systems.

Agreed. I knew where it was going.

I've worked on more than I can remember and have had the !#@! knocked out of me more than once. Things are wired wrong, labeled wrong, or backfeeding in some way.

And sometimes the switch needs a "live" adjustment with the power on.

Plumber, Sparky, Well Contractor in my book this time.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks so much for the replies.
          I have a new pump switch that I will install this weekend. Can't hurt.
          Last night while I was washing dishes the pressure went to zero. So I ran downstairs, turned off the power to the pump and turned the bolt until I heard a click. Turned the pump back on and it built pressure. Now the bolt that was turn was the bigger bolt (raise turn on and off pressure) but the strange thing is that it cut out lower than what it was set to before. Strange.
          I will be replacing the hose to the well and the foot valve. I think it's called that. I do not want to replace the pump quite yet at $300.
          I am also afraid to get a plumber in just to watch it and say nothing is wrong.
          Stay tuned and thanks again.

Mark

Comment

10' well

isn't that a bit shallow? not sayin nutin now, just askin, just askin. breid.........

Comment

Re: 10' well

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
              isn't that a bit shallow? not sayin nutin now, just askin, just askin. breid.........

A 10 foot deep dug well sure isn't going to have much capacity and surface water is not something I want to go drinking. I wonder if somehow things are all mixed up and the dug well is really a sump with a sump pump in it. Hmmmmm

Comment

If you messed with the pressure switch and it then took off and ran, then more than likely the switch is the problem, and it is sticking, but readjusting the spring tension is may not be the best for the pump as by upping the pressure makes the pump work harder and will run longer trying to satisfy the pressure demand, (most likely giving the switch a small wack would have made it run as well)

I would make sure that the pipe/fitting that the switch is attached to is completely clear and open it may be partly or plugged and causing some of the problems. After removing the pressure switch, take a wire or a Drill bit ( just use your fingers to run the bit) and run down in the pipe or fitting if it is plugged and make sure it is clear.

I would not mess with the hose or foot valve at this point,

If you were loosing prime most likely you would not be pumping water, and if was pumping air, and continuing to pump water as well, you would have air blowing out of you faucets, some times it is best not to mess with things that are not broken, I really doubt if the pump or foot valve is any of your problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you look at all the treatment/conditioning process they are using for the water, most likely in it raw condition it must be lacking some,
                water softener,
                Filter,
                UV sterilizer,
                RO system,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD - thanks so much for the guidance.
                  The swtich was bad. The little pipe fitting to pickup pressure had an opening of about a 1/16 of an inch and that was outside of the pump. I used a drill bit and was amazed of the crap that built up in the pump. It all works well now. Thanks again.

I do not trust the present pressure gauges. Any recommnedations on a true cut-in/cut-out pressure? The new switch is factory set for 20/40. It does cut in about 20 but only goes up to 30if that. Hence not trusting the gauges.

Thanks.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X