• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water softner recommendations

who makes a good one?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: water softner recommendations

Is the Water Surgeon near you out there? He was the softener man but pretty much doesn't post anymore.

J.C.

Comment

I get mine at Performance Water Products in Buena Park 800 374-6428

I order my units with the Fleck 5600 meter head.

wookie

Comment

I've had much success with the WaterBoss from Home Depot and water softeners from Sears/Kenmore.

The attitude of most property owners is buy cheap, use one that'll last 10 years at least and figure the cost perspective over the # of years ratio.

I have maybe 23 over the past 8 years and no callbacks, if people can remember my name from that long ago.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
          I've had much success with the WaterBoss from Home Depot and water softeners from Sears/Kenmore.

The attitude of most property owners is buy cheap, use one that'll last 10 years at least and figure the cost perspective over the # of years ratio.

I have maybe 23 over the past 8 years and no callbacks, if people can remember my name from that long ago.
          Just guessing that about half the units I run into with the names you mentioned are not working properly. If you do some checking you can get a good unit for less $ than at the big box. Maybe you're just installing what the customer bought, so would I, when I supply its a Fleck for me.

I believe Calif has now banned softners. Need to check. Potassium Chloride will work instead of salt?????

wookie

Comment

wow, will investigate that ban. do you remember where you heard that? kinda sucks as our water is real hard here.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

We range anywhere from 10-16 grains. I thought you all had the best drinking water on the planet?

How could that not be soft water?
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I've installed Lancaster (Fleck Head) and also Home Center models. Haven't had problems with either. I've checked back with customers too.

Installed a model from Sears for someone. I think it was their large/best model. Good size resin bed and salt reservoir. No problems and it was less expensive by about $250.00 over a comparable supply house model.

I'm told good Fleck heads and some others go and go. But as Dunbar said, they'd rather replace in 10 years rather than have a long lasting head. I can't say the customer is wrong (yet, more research) because who knows what will be available in 10 years and the last time I checked the average move for people in the U.S. was less than 7 years. That's gonna' go up with the mortgage "crisis" and economy though. People are more likely to stay put.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  wow, will investigate that ban. do you remember where you heard that? kinda sucks as our water is real hard here.
                  I think its AB 1366 I believe some areas are exempt

Gotta love Calif.

Its up to the individual municipalities to ban softners and buyback softners in use already. That will be interesting to see. " our records show ( permit ) you have a softner, give it up! "

I get such a warm fuzzy feeling knowing I'm being looked after by big brother

wookie

Comment

Working...
                  X