how do you think my plumber's work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how do you think my plumber's work

He piped it to specs on the install manual as far as primary/secondary. Its just like, DANG, that's a lot of fittings for about 20' of pipe. Why would a mod/cond boiler need primary/secondary in the first place?

Comment

so the piping is supposed to set up a loop, with it's own circulator, that seems to just circulate water out of the boiler and then back into the boiler(the "boiler loop")? then, each zone has it's own circulator that circulates heated water from teh "boiler loop" through each heating zone? have i got that right?
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Should have stayed with oil, I have installed quite a few mod con boilers mostly lochnivar but its basically the same as you have there a stainless steel boiler. Wait till that thing fails to work one cold morning. Getting parts or for that matter figuring out what is wrong with it is a hassle.

Comment

Pay the man
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Did you go with the lowest price? Is your plumber licensed in hydronics and is the job getting inspected? did he do a heat loss calculation for you? Been a long time since i've seen a single zone system.
            ________
            HOW TO MAKE A VAPORIZER
            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:25 PM.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by nhmatt View Post
              He piped it to specs on the install manual as far as primary/secondary. Its just like, DANG, that's a lot of fittings for about 20' of pipe. Why would a mod/cond boiler need primary/secondary in the first place?

Almost all mod-cods need to piped primary secondary to maintain a certain flow through the HX. A normal systems flow would vary based on the number of zones operating. If not piped pri-sec, alot of mod-cons will lockout at the temp rise of the water will be to sudden and they will go into protection mode.

The Triangle Tube Prestige does not require primary secondary as per the IM manual but in certain situations it should still be done.

I think the install is functional, but it could be alot better.

Comment

I don't get it. Does the boiler modulate its out put per forseen demand (setback) or boiler water temperature? The only reason I could see to have a primary loop in a basboard system would be to push water into storage/boiler buddy. I thought the whole point of condensing boilers was to keep the temperature of the return water as cool as you could (which, I've heard, doesn't work with baseboards) so condensing could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Pay the man

We all may done some things differently but the job looks good and professionally done. I don't get the pex either but there is probably a reason why it's there. I would give the guy a handshake, a check and cold Pepsi.

Comment

I don't get it. Does the boiler modulate its out put per forseen demand (setback) or boiler water temperature? The only reason I could see to have a primary loop in a basboard system would be to push water into storage/boiler buddy. I thought the whole point of condensing boilers was to keep the temperature of the return water as cool as you could (which, I've heard, doesn't work with baseboards) so condensing could happen.
                    The boiler modulation and reset method aside, you are required to use a primary loop because of the large pressure drop that occurs in a typical Mod-Cons HX due to the very tight water passages. In comparison to the zone pumps, the Primary loop pump has a much higher head to overcome this pressure drop. Its a saftey thing for the manufacturer, with a primary loop and a dedicated pump, they know they are getting adaquate flow through the HX at all times. Inadaquate flow through the HX could cause it to overheat, the water could flash to steam and destroy the HX in a hurry. See page 36 of the IO manual

http://www.burnham.com/pdf/Alpine%20I&O%209-09.pdf

They recommend a Taco 011 to 014 depending on boiler size for the primary loop. I typical 007 zone pump would not be able to provide adaquate flow, and if you uppped the size of the zone pumps, you might get alot of system noise, etc.

Primary/secondary is the easiest way to overcome this issue.

Comment

There is a temp sensor outside measuring outside temp and one on the supply side piping going to the baseboard or radiators or radiant whatever you have and the boiler adjust the temp of the water it sends out depending on the temp outside.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                        Did you go with the lowest price? Is your plumber licensed in hydronics and is the job getting inspected? did he do a heat loss calculation for you? Been a long time since i've seen a single zone system.
                        No, he is NOT the lowest price.
                        Yes, he is licensed and just got inspected.
                        be a single zone because the existing system is a single zone and we don't want to spend too much this time.

By the way, can Pex pipe be used in hot water?

Comment

I'm not a pro but there's a couple things that stick out at me.

First, the boiler is sitting in a puddle of water, on the slab. Even though your basement probably won't be that wet I still think its bad practice. You can already tell that's where the water likes to go. I also don't think there's enough clearance on the right side of the unit. I know there's a big difference between service clearance and the 2" this unit requires but that's tight!
                          There should be no water there in normal cases. The basement is dry basically. He put four brickes under the boiler. You have a better idea?

I agree that the right side is too close to the wall but nothing on that side. Maybe that is why he put that way.

Comment

I didn't see the bricks. Give us some pics after the wiring is done.

Comment

Originally posted by housecarer View Post
                              There should be no water there in normal cases. The basement is dry basically. He put four brickes under the boiler. You have a better idea?

I agree that the right side is too close to the wall but nothing on that side. Maybe that is why he put that way.
                              Most of the mod boilers I've been installing have a wall bracket or stand to mount them on. I like to free up floor space when I can, plus it makes it easier to service. If that area is normally dry, no big deal.

Comment

All in all Its going to work..........Anyone know if the shut off on the expansion tank is legal? You would think it would be the same as one before the relief valve?
                                Last edited by BrandonG; 11-28-2009, 11:52 PM. Reason: As one not and one!!

Comment

Working...
                                X