X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you think my plumber's work

My plumber almost done my oil to gas conversion. one zone only and heating only. future zones and gas indirect water heater are considered in this project with some extra labour hours and parts cost to him. It looks good to me. How about your professional view?

The boiler is Burnham Alpine ALP105 gas boiler.

I asked him to fully follow the manufacture's layout recommendation except those optional parts (page 41 of this manual http://burnham.com/pdf/101602-01R5%20(web).pdf) but he still ignored one or two valves and tell me they are not necessary. These valves on the zone pump are added after my few minutes asking but at my extra cost.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by housecarer; 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM.

Re: how do you think my plumber's work

Wow, a plumber that still knows how to solder!

Comment

Looks like a professional job to me
      Plumbing shop supr.
      My plumbing hobby site - PlumbingHelp.ca

Comment

Who ran that garden hose to that professional copper job?

Oh wait,

That's PEX.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

did it pass inspection? that's all that matters as everyone's codes are different depending on the region.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I would have done it differently but that doesn't mean what he did was wrong

Comment

dunbars right. why do a nice copper job and then chinch it up? i don;t have a dog in the pex war, but why not do it all in copper? breid...........

Comment

Not to insult ANYONE......But your kidding right?

Comment

i'm not a pro, but are there two circulators in this system? looks like there's a black one and a gray one. the OP noted there was only one zone, so what''s up?
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                    i'm not a pro, but are there two circulators in this system? looks like there's a black one and a gray one. the OP noted there was only one zone, so what''s up?
                    It is recommended by manual. black is the zone pump and the gray pump is the boiler pump. I am still don't know how the system works with two pumps compete with each other.

Comment

Nonsense!

Comment

it would help if you posted closer pics so we can see the detail of the pipe work.

Vince

Comment

I'm not a pro but there's a couple things that stick out at me.

First, the boiler is sitting in a puddle of water, on the slab. Even though your basement probably won't be that wet I still think its bad practice. You can already tell that's where the water likes to go. I also don't think there's enough clearance on the right side of the unit. I know there's a big difference between service clearance and the 2" this unit requires but that's tight!

What's up with the brass fittings / cleanouts? I guess its there so you can add on easy in the future, BUT ITS COPPER! You just cut it! Those things ain't as cheap as an elbow. The isolation valves on the circulator are 3/4" on a 1" zone which I'm sure is fine but why bother? The cost/time of the extra soldering/fittings is not worth it. And although the system pump if IFC, the black one that came with the boiler is not, so there's no gravity flow control on the return/supply. Maybe not a big deal because of the low supply/return on the boiler but it will happen.

Second, It seems like the grey pump is pumping toward the boiler, and the air scoop instead of being on the primary piping loop its actually on on the zone branch, which I guess doesn't matter at all because this is one zone right now but what when you add your indirect make sure there's air elimation/purge valves on that branch as well. The fill valve is cock-eyed, and it looks like he was shy one 45 degree elbow. I'm guessing because of the way the zone return comes back (to another brass tee w/ a galv. plug?) at a pretty ugly angle.

Is that grey pump a straight 007? or is it more than one speed? I thought there were major advantages to using variable speed pumps with modulating boilers. I'm curious how the system pump is going to factor in maintaining boiler temperature. Is there a reset control with this?
                          Last edited by nhmatt; 11-20-2009, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I feel sorry for your plumber.

Please tell him about your thread so he may respond and defend himself, but your not going to do that are you?
                            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

FINER9998
                              I've piped as the pictures show but with multiple boilers(less the pex). there is a main loop with its own circulator. Then each boiler will be piped as shown with its own circulator.

Comment

Working...
                              X