Whyd does my torch flameout?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whyd does my torch flameout?

I have an old Benzomatic propane torch (maybe 30 years old). I rarely use it, but I needed it today to sweat come copper pipes. I have a new propane take on it. I'm using it out in the open, but sometimes after a few seconds, the flame goes out, and I have to light it again. There's plenty of gas coming out. What could the problem be?

Re: Whyd does my torch flameout?

This may help: I also had an old, maybe Benzomatic, propane type torch years ago. I had a hard time with mine not staying lit, so I bought a new one. BUT-fortunately, for me the one who saves everything, I kept the old one and found out later what the problem was. Inside the torch head there is a filter. IF, a big IF, I remember correctly you remove the torch head from the 1/4" or 3/8" tubing, and then looking inside the bottom of the torch head, your might find a filter. It may be a little, like 5/16" or so, diameter, hard-like stone, type filter. As best I remember, there was a crud type material on it, maybe even mold. Anyway, it blocked or greatly reduced the gas flow. Back then you could buy these in a pack at the hardware store. That's what it took to fix mine. Just a thought, David

Comment

I don't see any thing like you are describing, but just for grinds, I polished what looks like the solid end (I know it can't possibly solid) of top of the torch head with a piece of 400 grit sandpaper and got it all shiny again. I won't be getting back to my project until the day after tomorrow, but I lit it, got a nice flame, and shook it around, and put it in different positions, and it stayed lit. Hard to believe there was a blockage, because there seemed to be a lot of gas forcibly streaming out even when the flame went out.

I also had a problem trying to use it to sweat a joint that had to be done in the pipe's ditch. As soon as a put the torch head in the ditch, the flame went out. I assumed there wasn't enough oxygen there, and that was causing the flame out in that situation. Fortunately, I also have a small nearly as old Benzomatic welding torch that I only used once before. I just had go buy a new oxy tank for it, and that took care of that problem.

Comment

why not just buy a new one? they are pretty cheap. Wally world even carries them

Comment

Because you do bad things.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
          X