Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banging Pipes - How to Locate Them - Issue Is Not Water Hammer - Please help!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banging Pipes - How to Locate Them - Issue Is Not Water Hammer - Please help!

We just purchased a house in South Florida built in 1987. Whenever you turn on the water (both cold and hot) anywhere in the house (faucets - both kitchen and baths), showers, toilets, washer, ice maker etc. there are pipes banging in the master bedroom/bathroom area. We have copper plumbing - not underground and city water.

We have done the water hammer trick and even had a plumber come out. Plumber and I think there is a loose pipe that needs to be strapped. already went up in the attic, already cut out pieces of drywall and I still can't find where it's coming from. At this point we already need to have a drywall person come out, so I can keep going opening up the drywall, but would rather not hunt and peck. How do I find this noise without opening up our whole bedroom???

Please help!! Any ideas welcome - I am at my wits end.

Re: Banging Pipes - How to Locate Them - Issue Is Not Water Hammer - Please help!

It sounds like air in the lines causing the pipe to bounce against framing. If you don't want to continue digging for where the loose pipe is you might try an arrestor. It's been a while since I have delt with this kind of issue but you guys let me know if I am right.

Comment

Re: Banging Pipes - How to Locate Them - Issue Is Not Water Hammer - Please help!

After posting I did a search and found a much better explanation of what I was thinking of by Mark:

What you are experiencing sounds like a "water hammer" during the operation of fast acting valves. As an explanation your pipes in the wall are jumping some what like your garden hose jumps when you turn the water on in the yard. When the pipe jumps it is hitting framing members of your home.

If this is something which has just started I would start by looking at your water pressure in your home and see if your regulator is working properly.

Assuming your pressure is okay the fix is to properly isolate the water lines from framing members. As this could require removal of wall coverings another fix is to install water hammer arrestors in the trouble areas.

Arrestors are available to install just in front of the stop to your water closet and the bibbs to your washing machine without going into the walls.

Good luck - Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Jane347
        Hey,all....Come here,
        http://www.voguesale.com
        Wonderful!!!
        g... d.... spammers

Comment

Would definiteley check the pressure form the city.
          I have seen faulty ballcocks cause this before so be sure to check those.
          Loose pipe can be tricky sometimes to find, but if hammer has been occuring for long you will want to find it and inspect the integrity of the pipe for damage, so you may solve it with an arrester, but still should locate it.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey33442 View Post
            We just purchased a house in South Florida built in 1987. Whenever you turn on the water (both cold and hot) anywhere in the house (faucets - both kitchen and baths), showers, toilets, washer, ice maker etc. there are pipes banging in the master bedroom/bathroom area. We have copper plumbing - not underground and city water.

We have done the water hammer trick and even had a plumber come out. Plumber and I think there is a loose pipe that needs to be strapped. already went up in the attic, already cut out pieces of drywall and I still can't find where it's coming from. At this point we already need to have a drywall person come out, so I can keep going opening up the drywall, but would rather not hunt and peck. How do I find this noise without opening up our whole bedroom???

Please help!! Any ideas welcome - I am at my wits end.
            What is "the water hammer trick"?

Florida, I'm assuming a slab construction house. Correct?

Do you have lines overhead in the attic?

Your plumber could do alot of looking and keep the destruction very minimal by using a MicroExplorer or something similar.

J.C.

Comment

Quick areas to eliminate

Someone else mentioned water measure devices in water closets especially the tank ball and rod style

Shutoff valves under the fixtures turned all the way down. Throttling the valve down can vibrate the washers in the valve

Hose bibs with vacuum breakers not turned off and allowing the hose nozzle to shut the water off

Pressure balancing spools on tub shower valves and shower valves

Automatic pool fillers connected to a hose bib

Water logged expansion tank on the water heater

Water pressure in the home

Water conditioning equipment

House main shutoff not opened all the way .Gate valves fail quite often and do not open all the way. You should experience a loss of water volume when you have three or more fixtures running at the same time

Recently I was called out to a home where a contractor installed a large pond with running water. The fill valve was connected to a hose bib with a vacuum breaker causing a thumping and screeching sound.

Comment

Working...
              X