X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flame being pulled off burner

Installed a 50 gallon 60,000 btu power direct vent water heater from American water heater. All specs say to use only 3" duct and fittings. With 3" duct the water heater rattles horribly. AWH knew right away about the issue, says that the blower was pulling the flame off the burner. AWH suggested using a 3" to 2" reducer on the end of the exhaust. This fixed the problem, but I question the 2" restriction on a 60,000 btu model. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on what this reduction would have on the heater's performance?

Re: flame being pulled off burner

You said its a power direct vent water heater, meaning there is two pipes? One for the fresh air intake and one for the exhaust.

I do not see an issue reducing it at the end of the exhaust this will just add a little back pressure to the system, it is a lot better than reducing it two 2" right at the heater. Thing is if it is a direct vent type with a fresh air intake the pressure should be balanced in the combustion chamber, and not pulling the flame off the burner.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

SewerRatz

Yes two pipes one for intake and one for exhaust. I agree with your comment about the balancing, I think the real problem is that the intake pipe on the water heater is too small. The intake pipe has a 3" input but the pipe gets reduced to less than 2" for the five feet down the side of the tank to the combustion chamber.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrik View Post
        SewerRatz

Yes two pipes one for intake and one for exhaust. I agree with your comment about the balancing, I think the real problem is that the intake pipe on the water heater is too small. The intake pipe has a 3" input but the pipe gets reduced to less than 2" for the five feet down the side of the tank to the combustion chamber.
        Thats probably why they want you to reduce it to 2" at the end of the exhaust to help balance the pressure.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

get it in writing from american appliance. there should be a technical bulletin put out by them.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
          X