X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!, My Union leaks

I just replaced a PVC line to a hose bib with copper pipe. I put a 3/4 brass union next to the shutoff valve. I got it all done today, but when I opened the shutoff, water was dripping out of the union. I tightened it as much as I could, but it won't stop dripping. A guy at the plumbing supply store suggested that I stuff plumbers putty in it, but that didn't help at all. I installed it nice and straight, and it goes together easily/ What should I do?

Re: Help!, My Union leaks

Originally posted by JeffL View Post
    I just replaced a PVC line to a hose bib with copper pipe. I put a 3/4 brass union next to the shutoff valve. I got it all done today, but when I opened the shutoff, water was dripping out of the union. I tightened it as much as I could, but it won't stop dripping. A guy at the plumbing supply store suggested that I stuff plumbers putty in it, but that didn't help at all. I installed it nice and straight, and it goes together easily/ What should I do?
    Sometimes some pipe dope can help on the threads and a little on the faces of the ground joint. SOMETIMES.

The joint is supposed to theoretically need nothing but if you do it enough you'll find that just isn't always the case.

And I've ran into some that Jesus with a pipe wrench couldn't make stop leaking no matter what.

J.C.

Comment

Unless the union is USA made it's probably
      some POS from China and made from rice
      with an alloy coating on it.

Comment

but Jesus was a carpenter, not a plumber so he wouldn't be my first choice as an example

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          but Jesus was a carpenter, not a plumber so he wouldn't be my first choice as an example
          Ahhh...but a miracle worker nonetheless.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
            Unless the union is USA made it's probably
            some POS from China and made from rice
            with an alloy coating on it.
            I got it at the Do-It Center, so I'm guessing it is a POS. I filled it full of silicon, and will open the valve again tomorrow and check it out. If it still leaks, I'll return it and get a better one at the plumbing supply store. If that fails, I'd hate to do this, but I've had good luck with plastic unions. They have rubber inside that makes a good seal. Speaking of rubber, I saw a post on another forum, where someone suggested cutting a washer out of a piece of rubber, and placing it between the two openings inside the union.

Comment

Did you by chance get solder on either of the union faces?

Comment

That's not really how it was designed.
                Perhaps it's just a simple matter of a junk union,Sorry
                Good Saturday morning project.

Comment

replace it. if it leaks, replace it. if it leaks....................

i don't like china made fittings!!

Vince

Comment

I turned it back on this morning, and it was still leaking, so I decided to replace it. When I started loosening the nut, it broke it two!! I went to the plumbing supply store to get a good old USA union, and guess what. Theirs was from Taiwan, or was it Thailand? The clerk said no one would pay for a USA union, they'd be $15. Gesssh, I paid over $13 for the Chinese job. At this point, I was just going to buy a USA made plastic union, with the rubber seal inside, but it was about 1/2" longer than the brass union, and I didn't remember what size nipple I'd have to replace to make it fit, so I bought the brass one which was $8. Well, it's better, it doesn't drip or spray, but there is some slight seepage. My neighbor, seems to think that it will seal itself from the minerals in the water. Then again, when I had to change a gas shutoff in my kitchen, and was unable to shut off the gas at the meter (I turned it the wrong way), his solution was to change it fast I'm thinking of just putting some Plumber Goop over the openings.

When I returned to union with the broken nut to the Do-it Center, the clerk was very impressed.

Comment

just be careful not to overtighten brass union fittings as they will crack on you. I see it all the time when the water department ties thier meter spud onto the union for the pressure reducing valve

Comment

Re: Help!, My Union leaks - PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I decided against sealing it with Plumbers Goop, because that stuff works too good, and would defeat the purpose of the union, it would be hard to take apart.

I went to Home Depot, and bought a 2 pack of gasket rubber (sheets). I cut myself a round gasket with the appropriate size hole in the center, placed it between the face plates of the union, tightened it up with much less than Jesus like strength, and it was Snoopy Happy Dance time! It's as dry as the Sahara!

Last edited by JeffL; 11-22-2009, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Glad for your victory.

J.C.

Comment

Congrats. And good job for not resorting to some hack method like siliconing it or putting mighty putty or some other crap product on it. Other plumbers will thank you for it later when it comes time to take it apart.

Comment

Working...
                            X