X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack Repair?

I had a relative who's plumbing had a pinhole in a 1" copper line. Very fine.

So I was gonna' cut it in the middle and coupling it as I've always done until I realized I didn't have any type of coupling to do this with. And no, no time to get it that day.

So....

I cleaned up the copper good, took a hacksaw and scraped across the hole a couple of cuts to make a small channel, fluxed and soldered the hole.

Holding fine. About 40-50 psi.

Ever done this? I honestly have not. Hack repair?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Hack Repair?

Many times I have used one of My round chain saw files to remove the 2 dimples on a standard coupling for repair work. I also have done it to 4" ABS. now that's some work! Clever, is what it is,not hacked at all
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

very common with a nail hole on new costruction. except we braze it shut

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I've done it, but as Rick said, brazed.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

jc, i thought you have a knock off propress

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            jc, i thought you have a knock off propress

rick.
            Rick, I'm not sure there is a "knock off" ProPress. Don't know who first made press tools. I asked once for a timeline but never got an answer.

Once again, no coupling or time for a supply run.

On repairs with ProPress. Here, if you get a pinhole or really any type leak in the copper, the material has degraded to the point that cutters will bend, crimp, kink on the copper no matter how easy you are with them. Not uncommon to have to hacksaw through them to keep the copper round.

I have not done it but I'm not too sure that a press connection would be the right thing for thinned copper. Right? Wrong?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

My first year of plumbing in '82 we had a super freeze the week after Christmas. No supply houses were open and I ran out of 1/2" couplings. Old timer showed me how to squeeze the freeze pucker shut and solder it using 50/50. Some houses had 10 or more of these repairs made just to get the water back on. We went back to redo most of them when things slowed down but I doubt we did them all.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                On repairs with ProPress. Here, if you get a pinhole or really any type leak in the copper, the material has degraded to the point that cutters will bend, crimp, kink on the copper no matter how easy you are with them. Not uncommon to have to hacksaw through them to keep the copper round.

I have not done it but I'm not too sure that a press connection would be the right thing for thinned copper. Right? Wrong?

Thanks.

J.C.
                Propress is HELL on thin copper and its time to lose all that stuff
                to save coming back a bit too soon!
                When I run into such badly degraded copper I find the homeowner
                and explain what they are up against and why
                they should have me replace X amount of copper.
                Last edited by Jay Mpls; 11-21-2009, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I've done this before; but after one job I went to, and they had $13K in damages from someone else doing the exact same thing......I've never done it again.
                  Plumbing shop supr.
                  My plumbing hobby site - PlumbingHelp.ca

Comment

do the brazing thing myself, work even with some steam coming out. very honest question and answers.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have taken a coupling and cut it into longways, layed one half over the pin hole or freeze hole and solder it up, kind of a copper patch. Never had any problems with them.
                      Saw it done on a 8" steel fire line with a thin piece of plate also (I did not do it) but was holding at the time.

G3

Comment

What, you didn't have any sharkbites on the truck?.....

Comment

Working...
                        X