• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drain Cleaning Job That Never Ends

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
    You don't need 150.00?
    Of course I do.Very much,thanks
    But do they need to spend $150.00 unnecessarily?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      um, we're plumbers? They called a plumber?

I hire people to do all sorts of things that I could do, but don't have to do it because I've got 150.00 that says I can hire someone to do it.
      (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

We built a pretty good customer base by talking customers through the easy stuff when warranted.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          My dad likes it when it gets slow like this. He says it separates the guys ruining the business, from the real men. He remember last time things got this bad. The phone book's plumber section was thicker than the lawyer section before the slow down. The next year there was only 2 pages of plumbers in the whole book. Lots of the guys that did not charge enough to pay the bills went under. And the same thing is happening now.
          How would me charging more money get my phone to ring more?

I think the rats jumping ship cause people don't have money to piss away

That and handymen with a computer science degree or a latin heritage.

Ron,you guys are an established entity,2nd Gen.Good plumber.Your fine.

Comment

um, we're plumbers? They called a plumber?

I hire people to do all sorts of things that I could do, but don't have to do it because I've got 150.00 that says I can hire someone to do it.
            I'll be right over BABY!!!!
            Have that *** ready when I get there.

Comment

How would me charging more money get my phone to ring more?

I think the rats jumping ship cause people don't have money to piss away

That and handymen with a computer science degree or a latin heritage.

Ron,you guys are an established entity,2nd Gen.Good plumber.Your fine.
              Charging more money doesn't help the phone ring, but you do need to charge enough to pay your bills. No one can survive if they do not know what their cost to do business is and charge enough to cover that cost.

This down turn in the times is hurting us a bit, but we are not going to give our work away to make our phones ring. We just have to be more diligent in getting our name out there, cutting costs in areas that will not hurt us.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              Ron's Facebook
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

That's the spirit! Now, the next time someone calls you and offers you money to perform your hard earned skill, repeat that line to yourself, get in your truck, and go earn a living!

Comment

Like I said, you city folk sure are strange
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Oh BTW my Minimum charge for a kitchen sink is $175 thats for the first half hour, if it takes longer then we get $80 per half hour after that.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    Ron's Facebook
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

That's the spirit! Now, the next time someone calls you and offers you money to perform your hard earned skill, repeat that line to yourself, get in your truck, and go earn a living!
                      No
                      I'll ask if they would like to try something easy to save a chunk of money.
                      Do not missinterperate me Drip,If I even hear a hint of hesitation I'm on it.

I'm sure you can hear what I'm saying.

Comment

Oh BTW my Minimum charge for a kitchen sink is $175 thats for the first half hour, if it takes longer then we get $80 per half hour after that.
                        Those are some good prices Ron.And with the size of your business/network/location/company maturity I'm sure it fits well.

Comment

No
                          I'll ask if they would like to try something easy to save a chunk of money.
                          Do not missinterperate me Drip,If I even hear a hint of hesitation I'm on it.

I'm sure you can hear what I'm saying.
                          Not. At. All.

Simple as that. Plumbers, ya know? Doing plumbing?

Hey, I hear new work is starting to pick up....

Comment

I changed my rooter rate to 135.00/hour, 33.75 every 15 minutes after that. Nobody even blinks an eye.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              Okay so on my way home from the Hospital Wednesday night I come down my hill to my house and I notice a bunch of emergency beacons blinding me. As I get closer, the house across the street from me and about three doors up has a truck like mine with a beacon and a US Jetting 4018 with a beacon. As I drive by I feel sorry for the plumber and owner to have to play with a bad sewer the night before Thanksgiving. At the same time I am hoping the plumber is smart enough to have not used that big jetter on our forty plus year old Orangeburg. My policy would have been to get them opening and come back after the Holiday to finish up. Then I notice there are four "plumbers" standing on the driveway.

The next morning (Thanksgiving Day) I get up bright and early to go down to see Brenda. To my surprise the jetter is still sitting there and three guys are saw cutting the hardscape. As I drive away I am wondering what the charge is to replace a lateral on Thanksgiving Day. However, when I come home 8-hours later the plumbing truck is back, the jetter is gone and now there are four "plumbers" back-filling what appears to be a 4X4 cut in the hardscape. Now I am wondering why anyone would do a 4X4 repair on an Orangeburg lateral which isn't any longer than forty feet long and about four foot deep.

To my surprise, the next morning as I headed out again, there is now a dually crew-cab and dump trailer parked at the home and the four guys are digging the area back up. I'm not sure what is happening but make the assumption they are now replacing the lateral. Returning from the hospital seven hours later I see the "plumbers" patching the 4X4 hole in the hardscape with new concrete.

We all have our own way of doing things but it sure seems to me this guy was milking a repair over the Holiday just to make more money. If I had bid that job I would have figured a man and a helper for 8-hours to saw cut and replace (hand digging in utility easement) the entire Orangeburg lateral. Now the owner is paying the bill for four guys and equipment for three days during a Holiday weekend and the owners ended up with a repair only to a forty plus year old Orangeburg lateral.

Out of curiosity I looked up the plumber's web site. It is a nice web site but no Contrator's # is listed as required here in California. The site said most of their work comes from repeat business so I figure they have been at it for a while. I took a quick look at the CSLB web site and found they have been licensed for 18 months and have signed a wavier swearing they have no employees so they need no Workers Comp. So the questions are, how long until the next stoppage in the old Orangeburg lateral, who will the owner call the next time it stops up, how much repeat business can you get in 18 months and finally, if those weren't employees wearing his shirts what were they?

Mark

Those homeowners know what type of piping their sewer is. The neighbors talk, they know what they have and what happens.

That's degree of culpability right there and they know the gamble when they understand that others in the subdivision have had to deal with the obvious.

Now, with that in mind,

bad things happened for the holiday. Probably an influx of toilet paper through an already collapsed line, the repair was most likely difficult as connecting plastic DWV to near ovalled/crumbling piping is guaranteed clog for sure.

No one is going to replace a lateral on thanksgiving morning, no way.

Even a "patch" isn't going to be durable on orangeburg.

The property owner doesn't have to make impulse decisions based on the comfort level of staying home and not being able to flush.

They could of left, went to family and had their holiday there, along with staying in a motel 6 and reconsider the situation come next week.

I seriously don't think talking to the neighbor would of made much difference. People like to make their own decisions most time and they choose by their own doing. That's why I have no bad feelings when I've worked at someone's house and I hear of another plumber that was used at the home next door.

No biggie. Whatever their reason I'm fine with it because I like people who make personal choices for what is in their best interest, not mine.

The property owner is double spending solely by choice, not by accident.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                                Those homeowners know what type of piping their sewer is. The neighbors talk, they know what they have and what happens.

That's degree of culpability right there and they know the gamble when they understand that others in the subdivision have had to deal with the obvious.

Now, with that in mind,

bad things happened for the holiday. Probably an influx of toilet paper through an already collapsed line, the repair was most likely difficult as connecting plastic DWV to near ovalled/crumbling piping is guaranteed clog for sure.

No one is going to replace a lateral on thanksgiving morning, no way.

Even a "patch" isn't going to be durable on orangeburg.

The property owner doesn't have to make impulse decisions based on the comfort level of staying home and not being able to flush.

They could of left, went to family and had their holiday there, along with staying in a motel 6 and reconsider the situation come next week.

I seriously don't think talking to the neighbor would of made much difference. People like to make their own decisions most time and they choose by their own doing. That's why I have no bad feelings when I've worked at someone's house and I hear of another plumber that was used at the home next door.

No biggie. Whatever their reason I'm fine with it because I like people who make personal choices for what is in their best interest, not mine.

The property owner is double spending solely by choice, not by accident.
                                The point I was really trying to make is to do a small repair took the plumber longer than it would have taken one of my plumbers and a helper to replace the entire lateral with PVC or ABS. The lateral is around 40' long and under hardscape. The average depth was probably 48" - 60" to the connection at the curb. Instead the owner got a repair with an ill fitted coupling or two and still needs a new lateral. If you have four guys spending three days on a project you should get more than a mickey mouse patch.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X