X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drain Cleaning Job That Never Ends

Ahh by no means am I excusing the raping of the customer, I'm just thinking that the customer should think about what they are spending on impulse, which would of stopped what probably was 1000's of dollars for the time in front of that home.

OR,

the first day they charged, the other times they were back on warranty?

Only that guy's checkbook knows...
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      Service = 85%talk 15%work

did a main line on a house today. third owner same house. I've been there at least twice before, I think three times. second home, bellies in line, shallow line, shallow main, not really possible to fix with a replacement. freezes every fall it is unoccupied.

1st 15 min was spent doing the handshake thing as I herded them towards what I needed to see to verify my suspicions and hooking up the machine. next ten min spent cutting the ice. last 35 min spent explaining it all to owner one, then again to owner two.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        Those homeowners know what type of piping their sewer is. The neighbors talk, they know what they have and what happens.

That's degree of culpability right there and they know the gamble when they understand that others in the subdivision have had to deal with the obvious.

Now, with that in mind,

bad things happened for the holiday. Probably an influx of toilet paper through an already collapsed line, the repair was most likely difficult as connecting plastic DWV to near ovalled/crumbling piping is guaranteed clog for sure.

No one is going to replace a lateral on thanksgiving morning, no way.

Even a "patch" isn't going to be durable on orangeburg.

The property owner doesn't have to make impulse decisions based on the comfort level of staying home and not being able to flush.

They could of left, went to family and had their holiday there, along with staying in a motel 6 and reconsider the situation come next week.

I seriously don't think talking to the neighbor would of made much difference. People like to make their own decisions most time and they choose by their own doing. That's why I have no bad feelings when I've worked at someone's house and I hear of another plumber that was used at the home next door.

No biggie. Whatever their reason I'm fine with it because I like people who make personal choices for what is in their best interest, not mine.

The property owner is double spending solely by choice, not by accident.
        I understand your point.Homeowners make it worse by procrastinating.
        That does not change the fact that another new generation,get rich quick,milk every penny Greaseball is ripping someone else off.

I'll bet he has a n awesome looking truck to maximize the pose.

Comment

Funny but it seems everyone here is making a valid point. I have at times walked people through a simple fix especially when I was to busy to get to them. It makes for an excellent customer relationship and is great for repeat calls and referrals. With times being the way they are though if I am sitting around with nothing to do and needing to put food on the table I go right out as soon as called. If it is a simple fix however I tell the homeowner about the discount page on my website and even double the discount if it is real easy quick repair. The homeowner is happy and I get to eat that night.
          About the orangeburg pipe yes they should replace the entire lateral and done the job properly But being a holiday weekend maybe they couldnt get the needed supplies and used what they had available to make the needed repair to get them through the weekend. Maybe they gave the homeowner the option to replace the whole lateral and the homeowner chose to just replace the section that was giving them a problem as it would be cheaper. There are a lot of unanswered questions to really determine why what was done was done.

Comment

I wasn't there, so I can only azz-u-me what happened.

To many things unknown for me to judge.

What did the company offer? Contracted? T&M? Did he offer the whole line to be replaced?

He may have offered to replace the whole thing for-let's say-$5,000.00 and the owner refused.
            Or he may have contracted the repair at-let's say-$500.00 and the owner jumped at it. In which case the PLUMBER is screwed.

Just too many unanswered things to judge.

What it really seems to be is someone not knowing what they are doing. At least to me.

J.C.

Comment

I have mixed feelings with this situation. I have been involved with emergency calls where I needed to call for immediate help when we have had client in dire need of a solution. I would only call out help if we needed to replace the building sewer or water main at that moment. Without an understanding of the work scope it is difficult to judge what should have been with what happened. I would also need to know and understand the client’s needs. I question the use of the jetter to clear the line. We had a plumber work with us who told us his last employer told him to crank the jetter to 4000 psi and punch holes into old cast iron building sewers. He lasted a month with us as he continued with that type attitude. Not that this is similar.

I would need to know history, how often has this happened and what they did to get by in the past. Proper questioning gains this information. If no history then we make the best possible decision on the spot with the client with the information gathered. Emergency digs are not fun but necessary and it is necessary to inform the client that they may need to go farther to discover semi solid piping to make a temp repair. Otherwise it is a replacement. In some cases over holidays or weekends we will make a free trip to clear the line when necessary until the permanent repair or replacement can be made after the holiday.

After hours and holidays we have made arrangements with our suppliers to pick up emergency items when necessary. This allows us the ability to help a client out of a horrible situation to them. We do revert to regular pricing when we do encounter a job like this.

Last Christmas Eve four of us went out to help our on call tech to replace an emergency water main. The galvanized line was too far gone to make a temp repair. A 100 foot water service with five of us took two hours to complete and the client was a happy customer.

Comment

I am very frustrated with this service plumbing industry.
                In construction you develop relationships and prove yourself on bidding and profiting on projects.The greaseballs lack of knowledge would be exposed fairly quick on a project and the network on the project would squeeze him out.

Now any parasite can survive in this industry by simply relying on the ignorance of it's host community.

Service = 85%talk 15%work
                Construction = 15%talk 85%work

I wish I was a better salesman
                Well that is a pretty mean spirited post.
                I cut my teeth on new construction. Moved to commercial, then finally service.
                I CAN'T STAND staying on the same jobsite like you construction boys do. And some of you wouldn't go anywhere near some of the mess we get into.

You enjoy making new things. I enjoy helping people out when their plumbing is acting up. And yes, it is a lot of talk. But homeowners like to know what is going on. Now, go take on a new contractor. One that knows squat about plumbing. I am willing to bet he talks alot to.
                Point being, you deal with industry pros, and we deal with, well, about everyone.

There are scam artists out there. Sure. They don't last long.

And as far as business relationships go, alot of people, once they find a good plumber they can trust, and is not ripping into their bank account, will call that plumber over, and over, and over. Some will even use only 1 plumber, no matter where he works from one year to the next.

Comment

Mark.

I do not know what your schedule is like. But, have you talked to that homeowner yet? And are you not going to report that company?

Not saying "be a snitch", but I can tell their business morals are garbage. And they are going to **** everyone they come across.

Go talk to them, find out what the deal really was. Did you say it did not get inspected? Would you really feel okay knowing that you could have gotten that business, but instead some scam artist did?

I am willing to bet they paid a very large sum of money. To some business turd.

By god, if I have to play by the rules, so do they. I can't STAND service companies that run helpers in place of journeymen. And then, only pull permits about 5% of the time. You damn right I will snitch you out. And I will call the city out on you in a heartbeat. That is MY money they are messing with as far as I am concerned.

Comment

My schedule just keeps getting worse. Brenda came home from the hospital but can't keep anything down so she has needed a lot of attention. Then to top it off she has home PT and I have to go to a PT Clinic for my PT so scheduling has been tight. I just finished a 5:00PM call with an Attorney I am working with and now I have to try and make some dinner and find the IceMan for Brenda's knee. Still with all that I keep watch for the neighbor to be home when I drive by so I can debrief him on what happened.

I have a couple of problems with what I saw going on. The guy had an 18GPM, 4,000 psi jetter for a 40-year old Orangeburg pipe. The guy signed an affidavit swearing he has no employees yet he has three guys with him wearing his shirt. Because of the location of the new concrete and the size of the hole I know they Jerry-rigged a repair to the Orangeburg (which is all they could do short of a new lateral). All that is fine but why would it take 4-men on Thanksgiving Day to dig a 4X4X4 hole and make a single repair? Now add the fact there were 4-men the day after Thanksgiving for at least another 7-hours to do whatever and then patch the concrete. I could see a man and a helper but not 4-men. As for permits, the local Department of Building and Safety would not require a perm it for a repair.
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjaskillz View Post
                      Well that is a pretty mean spirited post.
                      I cut my teeth on new construction. Moved to commercial, then finally service.
                      I CAN'T STAND staying on the same jobsite like you construction boys do. And some of you wouldn't go anywhere near some of the mess we get into.

You enjoy making new things. I enjoy helping people out when their plumbing is acting up. And yes, it is a lot of talk. But homeowners like to know what is going on. Now, go take on a new contractor. One that knows squat about plumbing. I am willing to bet he talks alot to.
                      Point being, you deal with industry pros, and we deal with, well, about everyone.

There are scam artists out there. Sure. They don't last long.

And as far as business relationships go, alot of people, once they find a good plumber they can trust, and is not ripping into their bank account, will call that plumber over, and over, and over. Some will even use only 1 plumber, no matter where he works from one year to the next.
                      Ninja,
                      Thought about it today.Yes it is a pretty mean post.
                      Sorry your jobs just seam to drag on for you.What kind of a pace were you guys used to working at.

I have too much fun ripping through a job I don't even notice the clock.

Yeah I talk.Inspectors,owners,Generals,other subs.

It's just frustrating seeing the same guy I kicked off the job years ago for having his head up his rear talking his way into a home and doing half the work for twice the money.He was more focussed on bullsh!tting than his job.

There is a construction contractor out of the eighties that couldn't make it.Who is now burning through customers under a big franchise name.

There are some exellent plumbers in my community,just not enough enough I guess.The horror stories keep coming.

To the plumbers here reading this that are conscientious should know How much I respect them,their knowledge and abilities.
                      There is a never ending lot of intricacies needed to make this service flow.I see many overlook them now they are the equivelent of a handyman (at a 400% increase) with a pipe wrench giving those who try a bad name.

Welcome to the forum Ninjaskills.
                      You caught me at a bad stage.We'll see if it can't get turned around.
                      Adam

Comment

Ninja,
                        Thought about it today.Yes it is a pretty mean post....You caught me at a bad stage.We'll see if it can't get turned around.
                        Adam
                        A mean plumber? Say it ain't so, Joe!

Most new plumbers would make decent service types, if they had valid driver licenses, no wants/warrants, brushed their teeth/hair/nose hairs more than once a week, and stopped dropping the f-bomb every other word. Those tats proclaiming their love for hate, death, drugs, and stolen motorcycles are a little much for Mrs. Homeowner, though.

Beyond all that, a plumber is a plumber, right?
                        (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Okay so on my way home from the Hospital Wednesday night I come down my hill to my house and I notice a bunch of emergency beacons blinding me. As I get closer, the house across the street from me and about three doors up has a truck like mine with a beacon and a US Jetting 4018 with a beacon. As I drive by I feel sorry for the plumber and owner to have to play with a bad sewer the night before Thanksgiving. At the same time I am hoping the plumber is smart enough to have not used that big jetter on our forty plus year old Orangeburg. My policy would have been to get them opening and come back after the Holiday to finish up. Then I notice there are four "plumbers" standing on the driveway.

The next morning (Thanksgiving Day) I get up bright and early to go down to see Brenda. To my surprise the jetter is still sitting there and three guys are saw cutting the hardscape. As I drive away I am wondering what the charge is to replace a lateral on Thanksgiving Day. However, when I come home 8-hours later the plumbing truck is back, the jetter is gone and now there are four "plumbers" back-filling what appears to be a 4X4 cut in the hardscape. Now I am wondering why anyone would do a 4X4 repair on an Orangeburg lateral which isn't any longer than forty feet long and about four foot deep.

To my surprise, the next morning as I headed out again, there is now a dually crew-cab and dump trailer parked at the home and the four guys are digging the area back up. I'm not sure what is happening but make the assumption they are now replacing the lateral. Returning from the hospital seven hours later I see the "plumbers" patching the 4X4 hole in the hardscape with new concrete.

We all have our own way of doing things but it sure seems to me this guy was milking a repair over the Holiday just to make more money. If I had bid that job I would have figured a man and a helper for 8-hours to saw cut and replace (hand digging in utility easement) the entire Orangeburg lateral. Now the owner is paying the bill for four guys and equipment for three days during a Holiday weekend and the owners ended up with a repair only to a forty plus year old Orangeburg lateral.

Out of curiosity I looked up the plumber's web site. It is a nice web site but no Contrator's # is listed as required here in California. The site said most of their work comes from repeat business so I figure they have been at it for a while. I took a quick look at the CSLB web site and found they have been licensed for 18 months and have signed a wavier swearing they have no employees so they need no Workers Comp. So the questions are, how long until the next stoppage in the old Orangeburg lateral, who will the owner call the next time it stops up, how much repeat business can you get in 18 months and finally, if those weren't employees wearing his shirts what were they?

Mark
                          I thought about this today. I've never timed working on a sewer line replacement. But I did on this one.

We replaced 50' of bad CI, repaired a water line we hit, and covered it all in about 3 hours today. Hope your neighbor didn't get shafted too bad.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            I thought about this today. I've never timed working on a sewer line replacement. But I did on this one.

We replaced 50' of bad CI, repaired a water line we hit, and covered it all in about 3 hours today. Hope your neighbor didn't get shafted too bad.

J.C.
                            How deep?
                            Sand?
                            Inspection?
                            Compaction?

Does that come with fries?
                            Last edited by drtyhands; 12-08-2009, 06:01 PM. Reason: Just be'n mean to J.C.

Comment

48" at the deepest point, clay/muddy sticky (hard to grade) and no-no sand bedding, inspection right on time.

Not all go this quick obviously. Sometimes lucky is better than good.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X