X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Cleaning Job That Never Ends

Okay so on my way home from the Hospital Wednesday night I come down my hill to my house and I notice a bunch of emergency beacons blinding me. As I get closer, the house across the street from me and about three doors up has a truck like mine with a beacon and a US Jetting 4018 with a beacon. As I drive by I feel sorry for the plumber and owner to have to play with a bad sewer the night before Thanksgiving. At the same time I am hoping the plumber is smart enough to have not used that big jetter on our forty plus year old Orangeburg. My policy would have been to get them opening and come back after the Holiday to finish up. Then I notice there are four "plumbers" standing on the driveway.

The next morning (Thanksgiving Day) I get up bright and early to go down to see Brenda. To my surprise the jetter is still sitting there and three guys are saw cutting the hardscape. As I drive away I am wondering what the charge is to replace a lateral on Thanksgiving Day. However, when I come home 8-hours later the plumbing truck is back, the jetter is gone and now there are four "plumbers" back-filling what appears to be a 4X4 cut in the hardscape. Now I am wondering why anyone would do a 4X4 repair on an Orangeburg lateral which isn't any longer than forty feet long and about four foot deep.

To my surprise, the next morning as I headed out again, there is now a dually crew-cab and dump trailer parked at the home and the four guys are digging the area back up. I'm not sure what is happening but make the assumption they are now replacing the lateral. Returning from the hospital seven hours later I see the "plumbers" patching the 4X4 hole in the hardscape with new concrete.

We all have our own way of doing things but it sure seems to me this guy was milking a repair over the Holiday just to make more money. If I had bid that job I would have figured a man and a helper for 8-hours to saw cut and replace (hand digging in utility easement) the entire Orangeburg lateral. Now the owner is paying the bill for four guys and equipment for three days during a Holiday weekend and the owners ended up with a repair only to a forty plus year old Orangeburg lateral.

Out of curiosity I looked up the plumber's web site. It is a nice web site but no Contrator's # is listed as required here in California. The site said most of their work comes from repeat business so I figure they have been at it for a while. I took a quick look at the CSLB web site and found they have been licensed for 18 months and have signed a wavier swearing they have no employees so they need no Workers Comp. So the questions are, how long until the next stoppage in the old Orangeburg lateral, who will the owner call the next time it stops up, how much repeat business can you get in 18 months and finally, if those weren't employees wearing his shirts what were they?

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 11-27-2009, 08:23 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Drain Cleaning Job That Never Ends

You city folk sure are strange. Your neighbor is obviously getting ripped off and you didn't even stopped to check it out??

I'm not knocking you. I understand city people. You've probably never even spoke to your neighbor and they've probably never even said hello to you.
    Dog eat dog.

I like my little town. It can be rather boring at times but we are a community.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
      You city folk sure are strange. Your neighbor is obviously getting ripped off and you didn't even stopped to check it out??

I'm not knocking you. I understand city people. You've probably never even spoke to your neighbor and they've probably never even said hello to you.
      Dog eat dog.

I like my little town. It can be rather boring at times but we are a community.
      Gene,
      Would you really go up and knock on the door at the end of day number two?

Comment

Gene,

Keep in mind, Brenda is in the hospital and I have zero minutes available in my schedule to walk up the hill to meet the new neighbor while four plumbers stand in his driveway. It was not until this afternoon I finally figured out what the plumbers was doing. I have considered going to talk to the neighbor after Brenda comes home Sunday. To be fair to the plumber I do not know what the conversations between he and the owner were, but it sure seems a 18 GPM jetter at 4,000 psi could do a lot of damage to Orangeburg. . The first thirty years I knew every neighbor in the neighborhood. The last five years, some of the homes are so transit I only know my 6-immediate neighbors. In contrast, I can't go to my PO Box in Utah without meeting everyone in town there.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Gene,
          Would you really go up and knock on the door at the end of day number two?
          I would have done it on day one.
          I know my neighbors and they know me and what I do.

1 I would be pissed cause they didn't call me to start.

2 Even if they didn't call me, I would want to make sure they were not getting ripped off.

I'm not knocking Mark, I'm merely commenting on the differences of small town Vrs city
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Gene,

Keep in mind, Brenda is in the hospital and I have zero minutes available in my schedule to walk up the hill to meet the new neighbor while four plumbers stand in his driveway. It was not until this afternoon I finally figured out what the plumbers was doing. I have considered going to talk to the neighbor after Brenda comes home Sunday. To be fair to the plumber I do not know what the conversations between he and the owner were, but it sure seems a 18 GPM jetter at 4,000 psi could do a lot of damage to Orangeburg. . The first thirty years I knew every neighbor in the neighborhood. The last five years, some of the homes are so transit I only know my 6-immediate neighbors. In contrast, I can't go to my PO Box in Utah without meeting everyone in town there.

Mark
            First let me be clear, I am not faulting you in this situation.

As a small town boy it just seams strange that people don't know their neighbors.
            I always hated it when I was a kid, everything I did was reported back to my mother. Now that I am a father, I would never give it up.

If I saw someone (a stranger) 2 streets over in the same situation that you describe, I would probably drive right by.

Comment

2 Even if they didn't call me, I would want to make sure they were not getting ripped off.

I'm not knocking Mark, I'm merely commenting on the differences of small town Vrs city
              Thanks Gene,
              You are correct on the matter of others not watching out for each other,at least I see too much of it in my area.

We try and reach out.

Comment

Point taken if I had a Plumbing Company he could have called but I don't. All this guy knows is I drive a plain Jane truck and I am out of town most of the time.

You are probably right but some times these things sneak up on you. When I came home the first night I was actually on the phone with Joey and assumed the cleaning was already over. Thanksgiving Day Brenda called in a panic with what she felt was an emergency and needed me at the Hospital right away. At that point she was my priority. When I got home that night I had two little grand daughters with me who were spending the night so it would have been tough walking them up the street in the cold. Their mom was late picking them up this morning so again I was running late to go see Brenda. I have considered talking to the guy tomorrow but I am wondering if he would even want to talk about it.

Gene, I understand what you're saying and in a perfect World with a perfect schedule your way would have been a better way.

Mark

Comment

I am very frustrated with this service plumbing industry.
                  In construction you develop relationships and prove yourself on bidding and profiting on projects.The greaseballs lack of knowledge would be exposed fairly quick on a project and the network on the project would squeeze him out.

Now any parasite can survive in this industry by simply relying on the ignorance of it's host community.

Service = 85%talk 15%work
                  Construction = 15%talk 85%work

I wish I was a better salesman

Comment

Every downturn sees new guys trying to do service. I've seen it time and time again and it never works out.

Utah, maybe the owner of the house owns the plumbing company...
                    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

You hit the nail right on the head, drtyhands. Well said!

Comment

Just now.

6:26 Lady friend called,sink backed up.I asked if Hubby felt like pulling the trap.
                        He said he would try.

6:37 I called her cell back.He answered,said he got it and gave a big thank you.She got the phone I told her she saved 150$ that almost every plumber I know would have certainly taken given the call.

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
                          Every downturn sees new guys trying to do service. I've seen it time and time again and it never works out.

I don't like all the talking required

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post

My dad likes it when it gets slow like this. He says it separates the guys ruining the business, from the real men. He remember last time things got this bad. The phone book's plumber section was thicker than the lawyer section before the slow down. The next year there was only 2 pages of plumbers in the whole book. Lots of the guys that did not charge enough to pay the bills went under. And the same thing is happening now.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              Just now.

6:26 Lady friend called,sink backed up.I asked if Hubby felt like pulling the trap.
                              He said he would try.

6:37 I called her cell back.He answered,said he got it and gave a big thank you.She got the phone I told her she saved 150$ that almost every plumber I know would have certainly taken given the call.
                              You don't need 150.00?

My last call today, I picked up my cell and accidently hit the wrong button and the call went to v.m. The old customer had a back-up, but by the time I reached her, she had a rooter company (my buddy) rolling there.

I would work for 150.00, dude.
                              (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Working...
                              X