Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile home water heater to regular heater....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile home water heater to regular heater....

I have a mobile home that was built in 2001 and the water heater just bit the bullet. (tank it leaking). The current heater is a 40 gallon, but its shorter than an average 40 gallon, and it only has one heating element. I have been looking online and it appears that most mobile home heaters are 30 gallon. I def dont want to down grade.

I know mobile home water heaters have the ports on the side as opposed to the top, but is this the only difference? Would I be ok with a regular house water heater? Also, I am limited in my height. I have about 10in above the existing water heater, so the new one cant be much taller with out doing modifications to the closet. If I absolutely have to, I can modify the closet to accept a taller unit though. Any recommendations?

Re: Mobile home water heater to regular heater....

What is the size of that wire serving that water heater?

If it is 12-2 on a 20 amp double breaker, this for the majority of new water heaters for residential homes is inadequate.

All in the wattage of the elements. GE water heaters from home depot is 4500 upper/lower which is a 10-2 requirement, 30 amp wire.

Sears/Kenmore has 3800 watt upper/lower elements, you'd be able to use that for your retrofit.

I didn't mention lowes water heaters because they are the cheapest, have the most longevity problems and I wouldn't even recommend them to my ***hole neighbor.

Okay yes I would, just so they live in misery.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

3500 watt, 20 amp breaker, looks like 12/2.... FOCK THIS BS!!!! lol.... If I change the breaker out and pull 10/2 will I be ok with the upgrade? Is it worth the trouble of pulling new wire to do this, or should I just stick with a mobile home heater? Or do I just get the one from sears that will work on 12ga?

{{GE 40 Gallon Electric Medium Water Heater 6YR 4500 Watt DE}}
      Last edited by futuresweets10; 11-29-2009, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Keep in mind a lot of the manufacturers void the warranty if you install a standard water heater in a mobile home. It's not that it doesn't work but the mobile home water heaters were tested and approved for mobile homes and a standard water heater was not. In theory it becomes an illegal water heater and they don't want to be responsible for it.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Keep in mind a lot of the manufacturers void the warranty if you install a standard water heater in a mobile home. It's not that it doesn't work but the mobile home water heaters were tested and approved for mobile homes and a standard water heater was not. In theory it becomes an illegal water heater and they don't want to be responsible for it.

Mark
          Didn't think about this myself. But the way "warranties" go these days, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would make sure that the electrical system was adequate for any upgrade.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
          X