Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PEX Stainless Clamps on Copper Stub Outs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX Stainless Clamps on Copper Stub Outs?

X
    Last edited by Big-Al; 12-04-2009, 11:57 AM.

Re: PEX Stainless Clamps on Copper Stub Outs?

Originally posted by Big-Al View Post
    Hey everybody. This is my first post here. I have a question about using Stainless Steel Clamps to connect PEX tubing to copper PEX fittings, for example, stub outs. Some web sites say it's OK to use the SSCs on brass, copper, or plastic fittings . . . but others (Watts, Nibco) say to only use the copper crimp rings or full stainless sleeves on copper fittings.

Not knowing this, I had been using CCRs on copper Pex fittings for a little while. So far things seem OK. All the connections tested good at 100 psi, and there have been no leaks to date . . . I'm wondering if it's an installation-related issue or something that develops later. Should be re-opening walls to re-do these connections to head of future trouble?

I have been using the Murray SS clamps, which seem more substantial than the Oetiker ones. Does anybody else have experience in this regard?
    No experience using Murray SS clamps on my part.

You have to look at any PEX manufacturers recommendations. They interpret what they make as a "System". Warranties typically mean one companies pipe, fittings, and connection ring system.

IRREGARDLESS OF APPROVAL STAMPS. Co-mingling of systems is not permitted.

Follow the manufacturers guidelines for everything.

J.C.

Comment

R. T. F. M.

Comment

RTFM???? what's it stand for?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Read The Freakin' Manual! Even a machinist knows that!

Comment

Originally posted by Big-Al
            Thanks for the reply, but I'll have to disagree. There are a number of PEX manufacturers that make their tubing, fittings, and, crimps/clamps to the same ASTM standards. They will have the exact same dimensions, be made of the same material, and will all meet the strength requirements. If one looks at the catalogs, and examines fittings, it's pretty obvious that many brands are actually sourcing a lot of their stuff from the same manufacturers, and re-branding them. For example, the Murray SSCs were in a bag marked Watts CinchClamps, and the Nibco brand copper stub outs were identical to the ones made by Sioux Chief. The PEX ball valves I used were branded "Apollo." All are sold interchangeably by the same supplier. Sure, mixing brands of "standard" PEX parts might void the warranty coverage, but I can't see how it would make the installation less reliable. If I'm installing copper or threaded pipe, I don't stick to all the same brand for the same reason.

Mixing up fittings and connectors between proprietary systems, like Uponor, etc. would be a different story.

My original question is whether or not anybody on the forum uses SSC (Oetiker or Murray) on copper stub outs, and whether or not they have had problems.
            I'll tell you what, I'll agree with you when you provide me in writing that you will cover all installations by me with comingled pipe, fittings, and connection systems with your personal and business assets.

If you won't do that, then you don't believe in it.

J.C.

Comment

The quick and easy answer is-YES.

You can connect systems a variety of different ways and not have leaks & even pass the required test. I've even ran into Polybutylene attached with screw type/radiator clamps without any leaks.

But the real question is why would you not try to do the best job you could and use the system that is approved and warranted?

I could do all kinds of things and not have leaks but I must put myself in the position of best job and least liability.

Once again, to get back on topic, no experience with the clamps to copper PEX connection you describe.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
              X