X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clueless College Student has a serious plumbing question

Hey, so I recently moved in to a new apartment. When I moved in the pipe going in to the hot water tank was leaking, so they replaced it. The tank itself leaked & they said they patched it. Also, the tank is REALLY corroded.

First, is the corrosion dangerous?
    Second, is it even possible to patch a hot water tank?

Thanks for helping me out guys. I just need a little insight.

Re: Clueless College Student has a serious plumbing question

It should be replaced. Please insist on it...

Comment

Originally posted by hmmbb16 View Post
      hey, so i recently moved in to a new apartment. When i moved in the pipe going in to the hot water tank was leaking, so they replaced it. The tank itself leaked & they said they patched it. Also, the tank is really corroded.

First, is the corrosion dangerous?
      Second, is it even possible to patch a hot water tank?

Thanks for helping me out guys. i just need a little insight.
      b.s.

J.c.

Comment

Your waiting for a flood to happen. You have insurance?
        Plumbing shop supr.
        My plumbing hobby site - PlumbingHelp.ca

Comment

i smell spam

Comment

Originally posted by jjscleaning View Post
            i smell spam
            There is nothing being peddled here...

Comment

Demand it be replaced! They are asking for water damage later and will cost a lot more later for repairs related to the water damage plus replacing the water heater at the same time! I have never heard of anyone patching a water heater???

Comment

I'm not spam...

Someone told me that the corrosion can be bad for your health like if you drink the water and stuff. Is that true?

Comment

Corrosion for the most part is a reaction of oxidation, and I do not know of it being harmful in it self, rust is corrosion and consists of iron and oxygen, and there are copper oxides and I suppose other possible reactions as well, and some corrosion is do to dissimilar metals being in contact and the exchange of electrons, most of the time it just causes leaks or not able to take some thing apart as the metals disintegrate,
                  I have rust in and on my well pipes it is not harmful to health but it is corrosion, I have seen other corrosion in things, and it has not ever appeared harmful to health,

(I am sure do to the base materials some corrosion could be and is harmful, but I do not think you should find that type of materials in a plumbing system.)

I would be more concerned with molds and other bacterial things that may be growing do to the leaks, and may or may not be mistaken for corrosion or is intertwined with the corroded areas,

so with knowing exactly what is there I can not tell you if it is danger, or harmful,

depending on the collage your at scape some off in a clean container, (zip lock bag) and take to the science lab and see if they can tell you what your dealing with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IF is a hard scaley stuff I would guess most likely it is not a Problem, (I do not recommend eating it tho),

If it slimly, pasty type, possibly black, smelly stuff then you MAY have a problem, you at lest have some thing that most likely should be cleaned up.
                  Last edited by BHD; 12-07-2009, 02:43 PM.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by hmmbb16 View Post
                    I'm not spam...

Someone told me that the corrosion can be bad for your health like if you drink the water and stuff. Is that true?
                    If you wish to drink warm or hot water, put some cold tap water in the microwave. Don't drink the water from your water heater. Stored water kept at a temp between 100-120 °F is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria and other nasties.

Comment

Never heard of patching a Water heater. I suppose they could be welded. Is the corrosion on the outer case or in the tank?

Comment

Working...
                      X