X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MA plumbing questions

Recently I did oil to gas conversion. I am in Boston MA.

When inspector came to inspect the oil to gas conversion. He found there is no backflow provention valve on the supply line on my 26 years old solar hot water system. I bought this house 2 yrs ago from bank with as is condition. He asked me to install one. And also he told me my laundry drain is not good by code. It was there maybe 30yrs ago. My question is do I have to do those correction by law/code?

After went to town hall and decided to install one because it is not that expensive. I was lazy to find a new plumber so I askedd the same plumber doing conversion to do this to me. He immediately installed it for me and charged a permit fee and tell me it has to be a permit and inspected. It happened on Monday. And my wife paid him after he installed that valve. Since then we call him and email him everyday to ask him call inspector to do inspection but no action from him. We want to close the project and back to normal life as soon as possible. we don't want always keep somebody at home to wait inspection. we don't want to keep our door open when nobody at home because we lost something already. He was not busy I think because he did not tell us he was busy. He just told us I will call tomorrow or I will call right now. I think I made a mistake to ask him to install the backflow after I knew he is not that good. I don't know what he try to do. My question is what I should do next? I told him on Friday, if he did not make an appointment next Tuesday, I will call inspector to ask what to do because the valve was asked by him. Do we need to wait more time?

thanks,

Re: MA plumbing questions

Sometimes there is a few days lag between calling for the inspection, and receiving the inspection.

I don't think the inspector can force you to bring the Laundry plumbing up to code. But in most areas they can force you to install Backflow preventers. The water department will simply take your water meter if you don't get one installed.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

MoJo is correct. BUT, I've had inspectors on partial remodels in Quincy and Eastham bring me to parts of these existing houses where I was not working on and show me 20 to 50 year old code violations and expected me to correct them. Luckily the home owners agreed in both case to go ahead with the corrections. I would have been in a hard place otherwise.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by housecarer View Post
        I think I made a mistake to ask him to install the backflow after I knew he is not that good. I don't know what he try to do. My question is what I should do next? I told him on Friday, if he did not make an appointment next Tuesday, I will call inspector to ask what to do because the valve was asked by him. Do we need to wait more time?

thanks,
        Most backflow prevention valves have to be tested when they are installed, then at least annualy after that. Your Water District (or municipality) will be able to let you know that.

Only a certified backflow prevention assembly tester is allowed to test these devices and not all plumbers are certified to do this.

Do you know what type of backflow device the inspector asked you to have installed? The pictures below show the two most common types of testable backflow assemblies that you could have on your solar water heater.

Your Water District will be able to tell you exactly what device should be on your system. After the plumber installed the backflow device, did he test it? Did he place a test tag on it? Did he fill out a test sheet and have you sign it? This test sheet has to be submitted to your water District after the test is performed. If it is a testable device, and he didn't (or can't) perform the test, it could be why he has not scheduled an inspection yet. (it is a testable device if it has four test ports as shown in the pictures. - just my thoughts

Mick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	26e035a99ccb64431bd3e24f49882613.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	9055

Name:	b992284cb9772e0a11ff34815a332b7b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	5760

Comment

Originally posted by Fireguy97 View Post
          Most backflow prevention valves have to be tested when they are installed, then at least annualy after that. Your Water District (or municipality) will be able to let you know that.

Only a certified backflow prevention assembly tester is allowed to test these devices and not all plumbers are certified to do this.

Do you know what type of backflow device the inspector asked you to have installed? The pictures below show the two most common types of testable backflow assemblies that you could have on your solar water heater.

Your Water District will be able to tell you exactly what device should be on your system. After the plumber installed the backflow device, did he test it? Did he place a test tag on it? Did he fill out a test sheet and have you sign it? This test sheet has to be submitted to your water District after the test is performed. If it is a testable device, and he didn't (or can't) perform the test, it could be why he has not scheduled an inspection yet. (it is a testable device if it has four test ports as shown in the pictures. - just my thoughts

Mick.

Name:	26e035a99ccb64431bd3e24f49882613.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	9055

Name:	b992284cb9772e0a11ff34815a332b7b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	5760
          I don't what he installed is any of those two. If it needs to be tested every year, I will throw away this solar system. I was plan stop use it but my wife wants to keep it to save init cost of the new water heater.
          Last edited by housecarer; 12-05-2009, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I don't what he installed is any of those two. If it needs to be tested every year, I will throw away this solar system. I was plan stop use it but my wife wants to keep it to save init cost of the new water heater.
            Can you get a picture of the device he installed? There should also be some kind of identification plate on it with a make/model and serial number.

Mike
            Last edited by Fireguy97; 12-05-2009, 07:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Holy crap man, its a residential application. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have an RPZ or even need one. We are probably talking about a Watts 9D or it's equivalent. If it's been installed don't worry about it. If the inspector wants to take a look at it he will give you a call or leave a note on your door.
              sigpic

Comment

for as backwoods as this area is, they require an RPZ for any boiler connected to a municipal water supply, I kind of assumed other areas were the same. I'm wrong a lot though.

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Holy crap man, its a residential application. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have an RPZ or even need one. We are probably talking about a Watts 9D or it's equivalent. If it's been installed don't worry about it. If the inspector wants to take a look at it he will give you a call or leave a note on your door.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Watts 9D
                  just checked, what he installed is the Watts 9D. He told me it is $88.30. I called a plumbing supply store and was told the backflow preventer is about $200. It might be one of those testable preventers.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireguy97 View Post
                    If it is a testable device, and he didn't (or can't) perform the test, it could be why he has not scheduled an inspection yet. (it is a testable device if it has four test ports as shown in the pictures. - just my thoughts
                    Sorry NHM, I should have emphasised the 'If', but I've also seen inspectors here want an RPZ on a solar system because of chemicals and the possible back-siphoning of stale water. Only the Water District and/or inspector will know what the want. I don't know if he has an RPZ or even needs one either. I do know that he is wondering why the inspector hasn't shown up, and I know that *some* plumbers Don't call for inspections because they haven't finished the job, even if the have charged a 'permit fee'.

I was just waiting for more information/pictures and ID before I could tell what he had.

Mick

Comment

just checked, what he installed is the Watts 9D. He told me it is $88.30. I called a plumbing supply store and was told the backflow preventer is about $200. It might be one of those testable preventers.
                      A 9D is not a testable device.

But if he charged you a fee for a plumbing permit, then I would want a copy of it.

Mick

Comment

I've put in hundreds of 9-D's and 9-11 combo's for boilers. That is an accepted backflow, as far as 4 years ago when I lived there, for a residential hot water heating system.
                        Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X