Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry Room Floor Drain

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and I hope you can help me. This past week A contractor put in a floor drain in my laundry room. It has a P trap and a backflow vallve on the line. Here is the problem....I am smelling sewer gases from the drain. The stand pipe for the washer drain is also smelling. I realize that this pipe will cease smelling once the washer is connected and there is water in the Ptrap, but how about the floor drain. With no water flowing through it, unless the washer leaks, how can I protect against sewer smells coming up through this drain?

Re: Laundry Room Floor Drain

Originally posted by Brent in Montreal View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and I hope you can help me. This past week A contractor put in a floor drain in my laundry room. It has a P trap and a backflow vallve on the line. Here is the problem....I am smelling sewer gases from the drain. The stand pipe for the washer drain is also smelling. I realize that this pipe will cease smelling once the washer is connected and there is water in the Ptrap, but how about the floor drain. With no water flowing through it, unless the washer leaks, how can I protect against sewer smells coming up through this drain?
    Pour some thin mineral oil in it.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks JC. Just to be clear, can you give me a brand name or some info that would define 'thin' mineral oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Brent in Montreal View Post
        Thanks JC. Just to be clear, can you give me a brand name or some info that would define 'thin' mineral oil?
        Honestly, I cannot. Pretty ignorant to brands and oil consistencies/behaviors. But the "common sense" part of me says any "thin" oil to prevent thickening in colder times or restriction if it were to be needed to drain the floor.

The oil will keep a trap seal and also not evaporate so you won't have to refill it as you would with water.

There was a company (that I can't recall) that made a device you could put in the drain to block odor too. Kind of a one way valve or self-curling/closing pipe.

But I think I would rather use oil or just fill with water once in awhile.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

he should have roughed in a trap primer.. but like jc said oil should do the trick..

Comment

Oil for cooking will work. like olive or canola

Comment

hi
              you say it has a BW valve. i would start by pulling the cover and cleaning the seal. is should stay in the closed position long as there is no back pressure.

can a primer be added?

if not maybe this an option you. http://www.dranjer.ca/

Comment

Nevermind, misread the question
                Last edited by Ninjaskillz; 12-06-2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X