Anybody ever turn down work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody ever turn down work?

I am not a plumber (never was) and this thread has inspired me to give a Thank You to all the pros out there who deal with this kind of muck every day. People complain about what a job will cost but they never consider how much they would charge to work in those same conditions.

Comment

I really will not turn down work. I fill that if it is something that I am able to do and have the skill and knowledge to do it. I might as well do it.
      With that Being said. I will not put my health or saftey in danger either.
      I have worked in some down right nasty places. Did an Ice machine service call in an asian resturant. Place had the scent of dead and rotting feet. Grease every where. Roaches and Rats. I mean Rats the size of dogs.
      I was told every other company ran away from this job. I went in and wore coveralls and hip boots. Went to harborfreight and picked up some cheap tools to do the job. Did the Job and collected cash plus a tip.
      happy day and happy customer

Comment

handybull,

I got scars, mental scars from some of the most insane work I did up in Cincinnati, and it was the situations that house flies were more sanitary than these people and their situations.

I'm so glad I'm not in that ritual anymore, I let someone more hungry than me take it on as they need it more than me.

But there's too much that I've seen at the bars, restaurants, women's crisis centers, daycares, basements of filth where dog fights took place, backed up sewage that not only turned black but formed a mold top from inactivity.

I like to say I matured and moved away from that danger and disgust, owe it to myself not to expose myself to any more than I absolutely have to at this point. It's bad enough I'm around these dangers to begin with.

12 years ago and I'd proudly write what you just did. If you haven't seen me talk about funeral home - embalming room backups, that's the extent of how far I will go in this biz in the "bad" stuff, and I don't mind the dead bodies.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I turned down work a while back. I saw the "flipper" beat down another trade on their estimate. No way was I going to get invloved in that!

Comment

I will not turn work down, just price it accordinly and the owner will turn you away. The way I see it is everybody needs a chance to get a peice of the pie, some just does not taste as good as others. I find that the crap work nobody else wants also pays the best (when you get it) and results in the happiest customers because no other contractor would service them. You just have to figure out the best way to make a good thing out of the situation.

G3

Comment

I just did that an hour ago:

"Yeah we have a restaurant with a clogged urinal. It's always stopping up and we've put chemicals and used a cable but it never completely runs good. And when you run the sink it runs right into the urinal."

I told him $85/hour + materials + machine charge till we get it open and running, and we will get it open."

But I was starting to laugh there at the end of the conversation, which probably was rude but I've been there, done that, I know what that smell is all about. Pretty nasty stuff but hey; I set the numbers in motion to let them know we can do it, just don't think we are going to do it cheap.

His reply,

"Well let me talk to my boss and let him know, we'll call you back."

NOT!!!!

Just remember...

public restaurant
              public urinal
              public bathroom

Nasty. Call a plumber

Comment

I turn down jobs all the time when I know there might be b.s. Or charge more then if I get the job its worth it. A good business person should know this.
                Last edited by PlumbingParamedics; 12-08-2009, 07:52 PM.
                You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

for the right amount of money, I will unstop your bowels.

I never really "turn work down".

Some jobs for whatever reason, like the one guy said, customers attitude, or really nasty or whatever, I will jack the price WAY up.
                  Because, if they turn me away, meh whatev, i didn't want to do it anyways. But if they accept....

Drugs in the open? Meh, idc. 2 guys goin at it on the couch, meh.
                  Not much I care about, it's a job, and it makes for one hell of a story later.

Comment

I turn away band aid repairs. It is not worth my time or reputation.

Comment

thompson has had a plumbing service for about 6 years. flat rate upfront pricing. best job i have ever had. i love working there. i did new work for 6 years before i started here in march of this year. you feel like you are actually helping people rather than installing pipe in a new house where you never even meet the people who will live there. service work is both better paying and more morally rewarding. i don't want to do anything else. unless it is working in a roach infested greasy kitchen in bond hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjaskillz View Post

Some jobs for whatever reason, like the one guy said, customers attitude, or really nasty or whatever, I will jack the price WAY up.
                        Because, if they turn me away, meh whatev, i didn't want to do it anyways. But if they accept....

funniest post ever. if i saw 2 guys going at it on the couch, i don't know what i would do. would be a great story later.

Comment

Meh, idc. 2 guys goin at it on the couch, makes for one hell of a story later.

I have the felling that was the drain cleaner on the couch. Talk about playing in SHLT

Comment

Originally posted by taddeeper View Post
                            funniest post ever. if i saw 2 guys going at it on the couch, i don't know what i would do. would be a great story later.
                            The way I see it, as long as I don't take a moneyshot, it's none of my business.

Eyes down brother, eyes down

Comment

Well, if your name wasn't Ninjaskillz I might of taken you up on that offer, for a fee.

Apparently I'm in a log jam and haven't figured out what it's going to take to make it happen.

Check your local news for any developments as we'll bring you live with up to the minute reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by taddeeper View Post
                                thompson has had a plumbing service for about 6 years. flat rate upfront pricing. best job i have ever had. i love working there. i did new work for 6 years before i started here in march of this year. you feel like you are actually helping people rather than installing pipe in a new house where you never even meet the people who will live there. service work is both better paying and more morally rewarding. i don't want to do anything else. unless it is working in a roach infested greasy kitchen in bond hill.

Damn Bond Hill. Have you done any work in Hartwell, Northside, low end of Evendale? You haven't earned your stripes in Cincinnati till you've worked on Meredith in Fairfield in the middle of the night without some type of weapon, flame throwing device.

Comment

Working...
                                X