X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever turn down work?

I turned down a customer the other day. her kitchen sink was solid and full up to the top with black stinky water. no big deal right? when i flipped the switch for the lights, and 10,000,000 roaches didn't scatter. they stayed where they were. i told her i wasn't sitting on the floor and rodding the sink, that had 3 inches of backfall from the wall to the trap, due to the bugs and sewer gnats. she said she would never call me again and i said that was ok.
    anyone ever done anything like that before?

Re: Anybody ever turn down work?

Definitely, but not when you have to work for someone else. Has to be real bad to get the boss to get you out of the situation.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

that is gross bro. It's like when you crawl under a house in the summer and fleas just start jumping so bad it looks like a dust cloud.

I would not have turned your customer down, she would have told me to leave when I gave her the price anyways lol.

Comment

I don't believe I have turned down work because of the working conditions. I have turned down work because of the customers' attitude

Comment

That's a rough one.
          I got a buddy who doesn't deal with bugs.
          I would've done it but as N/S said it would have been priced accordingly.

I recently turned money away because homeowner wanted me to bootleg him out from under a new slab so he could refinance."I'll fix it after the loan".
          A local General was there the next day boot'n it in.

All done,just waiting for realestate prices to start climbing so he can sell

Comment

adam

what is bootleg. it's corn squeezens here. breid..................

Comment

i try to never turn down work. i usually charge a "misery money fee". a mmf starts at $100.00 extra each hour and up. all mmf accounts are cod and i take check to bank it is written on to cash before i start. yes the clock is running on the drive to the bank. or cash will work. breid.................

Comment

i do work for one of the largest company's in greater cincinnati. my boss said it's a judgement call. he waill never say anything about nasty work we turn down. he has done this before, he knows how it is sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by taddeeper View Post
                  i do work for one of the largest company's in greater cincinnati. my boss said it's a judgement call. he waill never say anything about nasty work we turn down. he has done this before, he knows how it is sometimes

Name your company, if it is who I think it is...I already know the territory over there and how unkind it can be.

Do you all work for NORMAR by chance?

Comment

If there are illegal drugs out in the open, I'm gone.

Comment

i work for thompson. we addvertise 99 dollar drains , so we somtimes get the bottom of the barrel.
                      i'm with ya on the drugs, if i see or smell them im gone. i've been offered them as payment.
                      there is a little old man i do tons of work for, he gets super offended if i don't drink a beer with him before i leave. i always have him scheduled for the last call of the day. he's paid me thousands and he is a neat old guy to talk to.

Comment

Said it before and will say it again, "...you got to know when to hold up, know when to fold up, when to walk away and when to stay...."

I would never insist my guys take a job that I wouldn't work on. You can't take every job, period.

Comment

Originally posted by taddeeper View Post
                          i work for thompson. we addvertise 99 dollar drains , so we somtimes get the bottom of the barrel.
                          i'm with ya on the drugs, if i see or smell them im gone. i've been offered them as payment.
                          there is a little old man i do tons of work for, he gets super offended if i don't drink a beer with him before i leave. i always have him scheduled for the last call of the day. he's paid me thousands and he is a neat old guy to talk to.

Heck you all did better than that; I think you all had the $39 plumbing service call?

I know you all run that in rotation off/on.

How old is your plumbing division, less than 10 right? The advertising dollars they spend most likely work.

I'm completely out of cincinnati, with exception of one customer.

Comment

We had a call this summer from a owner of a trailer park who got a notice from the health department that his park would be shut down if a trailer on the site was not taken care of. We show up and see that the trailer has been dumping raw sewage on the ground for some time and had roughly 6"to 12" of waste under the entire trailer and then some. Told the owner that our guys said they would quit before going under that trailer, gave him a couple names of plumbers that might do the job and told him good luck and walked away.
                            ________
                            Herbal Store
                            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:26 PM.
                            Mike

Comment

Yeah, I've turned down work. I went to a septic pumping job that the tank was under the trailer. There was no skirting on the trailer making access a breeze not only for me but for the 50 or so ducks, geese, chickens, cats, dogs and pygmy goats. They all went to the bathroom in the same place. Under the trailer.

I've turned down other under the house work. I've done some of it too.
                              www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                              X