Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Handle Shower Diverter Questions

Hi All,

I have an old three handle tub/shower faucet in my house. I replaced all three stems (cartridges?), and the seats, but now the shower doesn't work properly. The hot and cold were leaking before, and those leaks have stopped, but now when I turn on the shower most of the water still comes out of the tub spout. I would say at least two-thirds of the water comes from the spout, and only a third comes from the shower head. I tried putting the old diverter back in, but it does the same thing. Any ideas?

Can anybody tell me how the diverter works? It looks to me that when you open the diverter valve, it allows water through the seat and into the pipe to the shower head. There is a piece with two slots on it, and I can't figure out its function. The new one also came with a loose o-ring, and I can't tell where it's supposed to go. There are pics below of the old and new diverter stems. There are no markings at all on the old one, but the new one is a Brasscraft and it says Sayco on the package. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Three Handle Shower Diverter Questions

That is a Sayco diverator! ( The Worst 3 handle divertor ever made)

I never take out the div stem unless it is not diverting properly! The div does one thing....Divert water! you were better off messing with the hot and cold and never touching the div stem

This happens all the time with a sayco div. Some times i will sit there for up to twenty mins and just div the water back and forth.

I was told once by and old time plumber that the div stem is like a new pair of shoes.......the first day you wear them they are stiff and hard to use, but after a few days they break in a get better each day. Same thing with the div stem..the more you use it the better it will get. Just give it a few days and each day it will get a bit better

Comment

That makes a certain sort of sense about breaking it in. Problem is, it now does the same thing with both the old and the new diverter. It's really bugging me, because I can't figure out why.

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
        That is a Sayco diverator! ( The Worst 3 handle divertor ever made)

I never take out the div stem unless it is not diverting properly! The div does one thing....Divert water! you were better off messing with the hot and cold and never touching the div stem

This happens all the time with a sayco div. Some times i will sit there for up to twenty mins and just div the water back and forth.

I was told once by and old time plumber that the div stem is like a new pair of shoes.......the first day you wear them they are stiff and hard to use, but after a few days they break in a get better each day. Same thing with the div stem..the more you use it the better it will get. Just give it a few days and each day it will get a bit better
        Are they worse than a Streamway?

Comment

I dont even know why they do it?

Put it in and give it a few days it will get better!

Comment

Debris?
            Seat?

Comment

Put it in and give it a few days it will get better!
              If I were to give that kind of advice to a paying customer they would
              never call me back.

Sayco's aren't anything special, good or bad.

The only reason the diverter isn't working is something interfering with
              the operation. Either in the stem or the valve body. Flush out the valve
              prior to installing the stem. Make sure the stem travels its full length of
              thread.

Depending on your water quality, I suggest installing monel seats and
              bibb screws with a little loctite on the screw threads . Also a good
              quality washer. The after market rebuild kits aren't that good a quality.

Comment

Well, my son figured it out. The extra o-ring in the package that I mentioned, is supposed to go on the diverter where the red arrow is. I can't figure out what it's doing in there, but that was the problem. Now that I think back, there was a mangled o-ring that came out when I first pulled the old diverter stem/cartridge out. Didn't know at the time where it came from. Now I know.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X