X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under ground frozen pipes

Hi, I am not a plumber but rather a do it the hard way Joe. I have been out of water for a few days after the extremely cold snap that just hit north Idaho. The problem is that the pipes run from the hot water heater in the basement into a crawl space access, they run for about 10' and then go under ground for apx 5' before reaching the bathroom and another 10' before getting to the kitchen. Last night I installed a thermostat controlled heat tape, but that seems to have little effect because the area where it is installed in not the frozen part of the pipe.

The crawl space is not even a crawl space, but rather a 12" space between the floor joists and the dirt, it took everything I had to wiggle my way in and out, so any underground operation is out. I need to thaw the pipes where they go under ground and not in the crawl space, the heat tape is not working. Any ideas?

Re: Under ground frozen pipes

What type and size of pipe?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

1" galvanized pipe.

Comment

Leave a faucet open to encourage movement of what does thaw and try to warm the space under the house. If you have a plumber come out he should be able to hook a pipe thawer up to get you started but you will need to do something to keep it from happening again. I would consider replacing the line and installing it to where it is easier to protect.

Good luck-Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
        X