X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Basin Nut Wrench

I have the old model plastic basin nut wrench by Rigid, (pic 1) but it is useless for installing fluidmaster fill valves, because the nut they provide is too big for even the larger opening on the wrench. Most of the time, I can't re-use the old nut from the bad fill valve, because there are no wings on them to grab on to.

I know Rigid has updated this wrench, (pic 2) but does it work for the fluidmaster 400A nut?
    Attached Files

Re: Plastic Basin Nut Wrench

Channelocks, is all I ever use for fluidmasters.

Comment

I only use fluidmasters and sometimes do as many as five a day.
      It would be so much easier with the Rigid tool.

You could tighten the nut down as hard as you want, without worrying about snapping off
      anything. And a lot of toilets have only a few inches to work in to get to that nut.
      It would just be sooo much easier.
      Last edited by verdeboy; 12-10-2009, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Buy you a 5 piece shower socket wrench kit, there's one that'll fit that nut.

Then take a roll of electrical tape and wrap that bottom half the same thickness of the tape.

It will serve as a grip to the socket and spin every one of those plastic nuts right off.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

i hand tighten fluidmasters.

dont trust those plastic nuts.

and i never reuse the old nuts

never had a problem.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Pipe dope and or over tightening will make the shank on a 400a stretch and leak. I had one guy who would crank them in till his eyes bugged out. Nuthin but problems

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
              i hand tighten fluidmasters.

dont trust those plastic nuts.

and i never reuse the old nuts

never had a problem.
              Good call. I hand tighten the nuts only, especially the water supply. If it leaks from around the tank tighten the mounting nut on the fluid master with a big crescent. Shouldn't have any problems, just go slow and don't force it, it is only plastic after all.

Comment

i primarily use the 400 pro with brass shank. i have a special socket with cup that seals the tank and allows me to swap ballcocks without even draining the water

but if you're careful a simple caulking sponge will do the trick too.

the only fluidmasters i've seen cracked shanks on are the kohler wellworth tanks.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I've never had a fill-valve leak that wouldn't stop by tightening down that nut some more. I have tendinitis in my elbow real bad now, so I can't hand-tighten much of anything these days, and using the socket is easier on the elbow than using a wrench in a tight space.

Thanks for the reminder, Rugged. I've got a set of "cow bells" - just forgot to use them for this application. Maybe I can find a piece of copper pipe to use for the large winged nut, and cut a couple of notches in it, and use the socket to remove the old nut and possibly just re-use the old nut.
                  Last edited by verdeboy; 12-11-2009, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X