X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sediment in hot water lines with tankless heater

I have been having problems with sediment (looks like large pieces of sand and tiny rocks in varying colors of brown and black) accumulating in my faucet aerators and shower heads. I installed a whole house filter at the water main thinking that the water coming into the house was simply "dirty". Then I cleaned all the aerators in the house, and even decided to clean out the lines for my washing machine. That's when I realized the problem is with my hot water only, because the cold line to the washer was super clean but the hot water line was full of the sediment. It is so bad at this point that I am cleaning out aerators on a weekly basis, otherwise there is no pressure or hot water at the faucet or shower head. The washing machine keeps giving me an error code becaue the hot line is full again and no hot water is getting to it. I have an electric tankless water heater and I thought that there wasn't supposed to be any sediment with a tankless heater. My home is less than five years old and I live in Tucson, Arizona. The water has been tested and the hardness is less than 10. Anyone have any idea what is causing this problem?

Re: Sediment in hot water lines with tankless heater

No softner yet?

Comment

No softener, I was told by more than one company that installing a softener or other treatment device would not solve this problem. Are they wrong?

Comment

Have you talked to the manu. about it?

Comment

What kind of water heater do you have?

They do make hot water filters also. I'd hate for you to have to install another maintenance item but it may come to that.

J.C.

Comment

has the tankless been flushed? breid..............

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              What kind of water heater do you have?

They do make hot water filters also. I'd hate for you to have to install another maintenance item but it may come to that.

J.C.
              It is a Redring Poerstream Pro Electric Model RP17PT or RP27PT Single Phase.

Comment

I don't know exactly what you mean by flushing the unit. I tried to clear it out by turning the supply off to the heater and then turning it on quickly, but that probably doesn't qualify as flushing does it?

Comment

Tankless heaters need to be delimed every 6 to 12 months depending on how hard your water is.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

a tankless electric is much different than a gas tankless as far as its water ways and flushing.

test the grit samples and see if a magnet will attract them.

see if you drop them in a cup of vinegar, if they dissolve.

you need to check the manual for suggestions to flushing.

it might require an air compressor to blow out the trapped debris from the internal tanks, of the tankless

electric tankless are far and few between around here. so i'm not an expert with yours, but they do require flushing as the elements do lime and debris do flake off.

you must live next to the nuke plant for an electric tankless

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X