Water hammer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water hammer

I have a 3 year old Maytag front loading washer. Lately, when it fills with water, it rattles and hums when the water shuts off. It started doing this a while ago, so I put 2 of the small screw-on MIP water hammer arrestors on the washer water lines. Last night, twice, the hammer and hum lasted a good 5-10 seconds. When using any of the other faucets, etc. in the house, there is no hammer. One time when the noise started, my wife turned on a faucet and the hammer immediately stopped. Almost seems like the shut off valve is not closing completely, maybe because of hardness build-up? Maybe removal and cleaning the shut off solenoid, or replacing it? Seems like it is happening when the washer uses the hot water, but not with the cold. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Water hammer

Check your regulator.

Comment

Re: Water hammer

You can also check if the piping to the washer is strapped and not just hanging and rattling as the water stops! A lot of times its not strapped correctly and the pipes just moving around as the washer calls for water and as the valve on the washer closes the water is still rushing through the pipes and hits hard when the valve closes and the pipe just rattles or jerks around

Comment

Working...
      X