X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Advise

Hi All, I am in a bit of a situation. I am currently a plumber in London. Born and raised in the USA. We are relocating back to New Jersey next fall and I want to ensure I sort out my plumbing stuff beforehand. I went to plumbing school here in London and all my qualification are from the UK. What I would like to know is what I would need to do in order to work as a plumber once we relocate. Do you know if I have to go back to school or can I get a plumber I work with to write a letter of recommendation? Please give me a bit of advice. Thanks in advance.

Re: Career Advise

Hello ararymc,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Stick around and/or check back. I'm sure someone will be able to answer your interesting question.

I'm not a Plumber but your question is quite interesting to me and I to would like to know the answer.

If you stick around I'm sure someone here will know the answer or know where you can find that info
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Dude, plumbing is the same all over all you need to no is $hit goes down,stink goes up and Pay Days on friday...Thats what I was told 34yrs ago as a apprentice when I started out......

Comment

Each State has it's own rules and requirements ( each is a bit different)

What state are you going to settle in is the place to start.

Bill

Comment

i would get a hold of the jersey govt and ask them. in indiana you would have to start from scratch, if i'm not mistaken. 4 years of documented apprenticeship and schooling. breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by ararymc View Post
            Hi All, I am in a bit of a situation. I am currently a plumber in London. Born and raised in the USA. We are relocating back to New Jersey next fall and I want to ensure I sort out my plumbing stuff beforehand. I went to plumbing school here in London and all my qualification are from the UK. What I would like to know is what I would need to do in order to work as a plumber once we relocate. Do you know if I have to go back to school or can I get a plumber I work with to write a letter of recommendation? Please give me a bit of advice. Thanks in advance.
            try here: http://www.njslmp.org/

and here: http://www.nj.gov/oag/ca/plumber/
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

I looked because I want to know the answer but I couldn't find it or I missed it. You might just call or send an email to them.

Comment

If you are already a plumber, you should be able to catch on shortly on how we do it here. I understand they use metric sizes over there which we don't, and their codes are going to be different also. Take a code class for the code book you will be using in your state, and get hooked up with a local Plumbing bus as an apprentice till you get used to the way things are done . It will be like starting over I'm sure. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                  I looked because I want to know the answer but I couldn't find it or I missed it. You might just call or send an email to them.
                  The answer is there but the I gave the links for the people to contact to ask his questions
                  which is what I thought is what he really needed. Anything else is a guess, best to get it
                  straight from the horses mouth.

Use the Contact Us button and fire off a message to them and ask what you will need to
                  do. AFAIK your license will not be recognized here, but tell them your history (work experience)
                  and such and see what they say.

A link to info on the MP Exam is on the web page I gave, here is the link:
                  http://www.nj.gov/oag/ca/plumber/masterexam.pdf
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Most states will take a look at your transcript if you have one and be sure to get letters of recommendation before you leave, proof of employment ect. If you can gather enough documentation they will probably let you sit for the exam or maybe even grant a license based on experience.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. I will contact the licensing board tomorrow to find out what I have to do. I hope everything works out. I can be bother with starting from scratch.

Comment

Working...
                      X