X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westbrass pot filler question

I ordered a Westbrass pot filler and taking an advanced look at the instructions online it says it comes with a 1/2” NPSM nipple (straight threads).

Has anyone installed one of these? Is it just the end that goes into the faucet and the other end is NPT?

Where would I get NPSF fittings?
    Last edited by rick-l; 12-13-2009, 05:56 PM. Reason: add desc, grammer

Re: Westbrass pot filler question

For mine I have not only set a F.I.P. drop eared ell screwed in with #10 X1" screws(not brittle easy snap drywall screws) I clamp the drop/riser/whip whatever you want to call the supply to the ell.
    Then penetrate with a 1/2" NPT through a 2X6 set flush with backside of drywall to recieve the four screws that will come with your filler.

Most of the time the so called plumber just stubs out a nipple with innadequate support and the simple turning on of the water at full extension cracks the tile and grout.Thing flops around like a dead fish

How'd I do

Comment

I went out to Lowes last night and pulled it down from the display and it definitely has straight threads. I e-mailed who I thought was the manufacturer who is apparently just a distributor and they were not very helpful.

Will straight threads seal in a tapered fitting? why would they make it like that?

My question:
      Your pot filler faucet says it comes with a 1/2" NPSM nipple (Straight thread). Is that just the side that goes into the faucet and the side that goes into the wall is a tapered NPT?

What fitting is available for NPS female in the wall?
      Their response:
      The manufacturer recommends using silicone seal on the threads as a thread compound; although they say Teflon tape also works well when threading into a winged ell.

Comment

What I ended up doing was putting my pipe threader in a vise and putting a taper in the brass nipple.

It had an interior hex in the end the faucet screws in. Of course it was .475 across the flats so I ground down a bolt with a half inch head so I could jam it in there and put a vise grips on the end of the bolt and turn it in the die (the threader hole is longer than the nipple).

I was amazed at how easy the soft brass took threads.

I still don't know why they made it so hard.

Comment

Learned something new here!!!

"Pot filler" I thought you talking about one of these

http://www.tpub.com/content/UFC1/ufc...0_13fn0192.htm

Comment

the straight threads allow for the pot filler to easily screw flush with the wall. sometimes a 1/2'' + or - is a bit long or short for a pressure fitting to fit tight to the wall. tub spouts are the exception as there is no real pressure on the spout when it's on or off.

silicon is a way to glue and seal it to the set depth.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              the straight threads allow for the pot filler to easily screw flush with the wall.
              The supplied nipple was 2 7/8 inches of straight threads. I couldn't find a winged ell that had straight threads and didn't feel right putting the straight threads into the tapered fitting. Was this feeling misguided?

The faucet end is deeply threaded. I got some locktite thread sealant for the faucet end.

another Rick
              Last edited by rick-l; 12-27-2009, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X