X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing ??? Toilet ???

I dont know if this is the correct place to post this and I am sorry if it isn't. I have a nasty problem with the water in the back of my toilets. It seems as though the water in the back doesn't empty when flushed causing it to smell horribble after a day or two. We have tried bleach and them blue tabs , nothing works. It smells like a dead animal. We are on septic so i dont know if it's a septic issue or a well issuse or a toilet issue.

The funny thing is , it started right after I had my septic pumped.

Re: Plumbing ??? Toilet ???

(I personally would be more suspect of a wax seal under the toilet not sealing totally than the water in the tank),

what does the water look like in a few days?

If you run water out of the tap and let it set in a bucket does it get a smell to it?

are you using gray water system for toilet flushing?
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The water in the back of the tanks get real ugly. I never thought about the wax ring. Is that a common problem ?

Im not sure what a grey water system is.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

A gray water system is where the water from sinks and baths is captured and reused in watering the yard or garden and some times the toilet, (it is some times used in "Green" houses), black water referring to the toilet water, gray referring to lightly used water,
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greywater

If you have chlorinated the tank and the water at lest at that time the tank should have been basically void of active organic mater, and most likely should have sterilized any residuals left in the tank,
        If the tank has been cleaned and chlorine added, and it gets septic in a few days then I would think the incoming water is contaminated in some way,

it should not get rank any faster than what a open bucket of water would, unless there is some thing that is organic in it and starts to decay or gets septic (the action of anaerobic bacteria), and that usually take some type of organic substances to start to decay and used up the oxygen in the water and then anaerobic (with out oxygen) bacteria (the same that one will find in a septic system or or the black slime some times in some stagnant water, or mud.)

the wax seal is the seal under the toilet that seals it to the pipe, and they do need replaced at times, especially if on a wood floor or there is any movement in the toilet, and if there not sealing they could leak sewer gas out of the pipe,

Most toilets tanks I have seen do not drain completely when flushing the flapper drops as the water level comes down usually leaving about 1/2" to an 1" of water in the tank,
        but I would think you would have to have contaminated water coming in to the tank to cause the problem I understand your having,

If it is water that is tap water and you can run a bucket of it and let it stand and not get rank and the toilet fill water is the same, I really do not have any idea if you have cleaned and chlorine the tank.

may be some one else has some thoughts,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Man no doubt BHD, go fill a bucket, then if its not rank, replace toilet I guess??
          Or odd as it may be, perhaps JUST the line to the toilet is getting contaminated? But that is kinda stretching it a leeeeeetle far.

I remember a post some guy put up here a few months back about a expansion tank, broke it in half and black water poured out. Could maybe there be something like that? A old prehistoric water hammer arrestor on the toilet line? Like instead of using a 90 to stub out for the stop, they put a T in and went up and maybe put some sorta mini restor in?

Comment

Most likely you are smelling sewage gas coming from a leak in the wax ring.

Comment

Ninjaskillz has something there with changing the suppluy tube. Recently we have ahd a rash of water that has an odor in newer homes. I talked with the water company and have found out certain white plastic supply tubes have allowed our water to create a bacteria in them. If you have a plastic supply tube change it and see if the odor disappears.

I did not notice where you are located. Do you have an areator tank with your water system? If so check your distance between the ehads and the top of the water. If it is less then 12" it is not properly aerating.

Comment

Thank you all very much for replying. It means alot to me. I am going to start by replacing the wax rings. I never mess with plumbing or electrical but everyone said there are fairly easy.

Thanks again and Merry X-Mas

Comment

Ok, I got into fixing the wax rings today. Pulled the first toilet off today and the wax ring looked fine. Mind you the other toilet where the problem started is right behind the wall so that the two bases are probably 1.5 feet apart.

When I removed the second toilet I notcied the white flange that the toilet mounts to is 1/2 inch below the tile ( hack job ). So when I put the new wax ring on it dont even make a seal.

Now keep in mind , I know NOTHING about plumbing and dont pretend to...lol...I take it a PLUMBER needs to raise that white flange so it sits above the tile ?

Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

plug flange. wait a few days. if no odor, well you know where it was coming from. double up wax rings to seal toilet. breid.............

Comment

The smell is long gone. I stuck a towel in the hole and the smell is gone. I can double up on the wax ring ? The other problem I was having is the bolts that go through the toilet would go through. They come right to the top but dont stick through the whole.

Comment

go to the hardware store and buy a log set of toilet bolts. 5/16" x 3 1/2" if i remember right. if they aren't long enough buy 2 longer brass bolts. but 3 1/2" should work. breid....................

Comment

on wax rings both do not need to have the horn. plain on bottom and horn on top. i not a fan of the horns idon't use them, but what do i know? breid..............

Comment

Working...
                          X