X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Log Safety valve

I currently have gas logs in my fireplace and am going to replace them or have them replaced. They are fed by a 100# propane bottle outside and the piping in the walls is 1/2 black iron. The black iron comes into the firebox (Superior prefab) about 2", and has a FNPT/flare ELL and then soft copper making the connection to the logs. What is NOT present is a shutoff outside the firebox. Was this not required in the 80's when the home was built, or is there an exemption of some sort. I thought that it was always required "within easy reach" of the fireplace. Putting one in would be a real b!tch as it would probably mean tearing up the floor as the pipe goes down after it exits the firebox and across the basement (finished in plaster) ceiling in a dropped chase to the exterior wall, where it turns and goes down inside the wall to exit slightly above grade. (daylight basement btw. I guess my question is, 1) do I need to have one installed per code, and 2) does any manufacturer make one that I could have installed inside the firebox right at the end of the iron pipe. Preferably in a 90 degree configuration.
    I had read somewhere, cannot find the page again, that manual gas logs were ok without one since the manual valve was accessible from the front of the fireplace (no glass doors installed). I am in VA and our applicable code is the Virginia fuel gas code https://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Virg...meset.htmlfrom which this is all I could find and am not 100% sure how to interpret.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	da9ee9bdce04738a127d06825365fb38.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	9153

By way of other information, the LP tank is right outside the house at basement level. Does the shutoff on the tank maybe count as my fixture shutoff since it actually very close to the fireplace - about 8 ft horizontally and about 8 ft down? Or maybe it did in 1984? This installation will be permitted and inspected, btw. I will be hiring a licensed gas fitter to do the job. I just want to be armed with enough information to tell me that he knows what he is doing.

Thanks for your guidance!
    Jim
    Last edited by JTROANOKE; 12-15-2009, 02:13 PM.

Re: Gas Log Safety valve

Over 80 lookers and no takers?

Comment

Normally the SOV would be outside of the firebox within an arms reach (unless this is decorative) of the log set. If it is not there it needs to be added. What are you using now when you want to shut the flame off?

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-17-2009, 01:07 AM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Sorry bud!Only hard piped stuff from city service that I can speak for.
        I would talk to the local inspector and get squared up that direction
        so you will save *him* a headache if anything is not code.
        I have been watching this thread.
        74 times.

Comment

i been watching 175 times. i vote republican. breid.................

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Normally the SOV would be outside of the firebox within an arms reach (unless this is decorative) of the log set. If it is not there it needs to be added. What are you using now when you want to shut the flame off?

Mark
            The log set has a built in gas valve with standing pilot and pushbutton ignitor. I wasn't sure if the built in one counted as the shutoff, or if there was supposed to be another one present, either for service or in case of technical difficulty!

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
              The log set has a built in gas valve with standing pilot and pushbutton ignitor. I wasn't sure if the built in one counted as the shutoff, or if there was supposed to be another one present, either for service or in case of technical difficulty!
              If the fireplace is a decorative fireplace it will have a 4" vent. At that point it is considered an appliance and not a fireplace. Either way it would still need a shut off valve.

Mark

Comment

It is actually a wood fireplace with an 8" chimney. The gas logs were added later. All appears to be proper, aka they came in thru the factory marked knockout and packed fire retardant insulation around the pipe, just no shutoff. Kind of like installing a faucet without an angle stop. I guess my question is whether I can add a shutoff on the end of the pipe inside the firebox. It is down low and probably doesn't get that hot - the knobs on the log set aren't melting or anything! I really don't want to tear up the ceiling below to cut the iron pipe and put one in. And since the pipe makes turns it would be a real ***** as it would have to be LH/RH threaded unless all the piping was dismantled. The code says installed per mfg instructions but I see no mention of an inside the firebox install on any gas valve online.

Comment

To be legal, the shut off has to be outside of the firebox. Even though you are not using it for wood it has the ability to burn wood.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X