X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question For Northerners

A plastic bucket that I use to drain water from toilet tanks cracked because of the cold, which left me wondering about what else shouldn't be left out in my truck on cold Michigan nights.

I recently moved to Detroit from southern New Mexico, so I never had to worry about that sort of thing. I bring in all my caulks, cements, DeWalt Batteries, tapes, and spackling every night, but are there any tools, fittings, or valves that can get ruined by the cold? I'm especially worried about sharkbites, since they rely on a tight seal from an o-ring. Should sharks, especially 1/4 turn shark stops, be on my short list of things to bring in at night? Anything else? How about pex?

Re: A Question For Northerners

you just had to bring up sharkbites

these guys are going to tear this up

i would be more worried about anything that is a liquid, putty, dope, wax ring. more so to speed up the time it takes to get to room temperature.

o-rings have a working range and this applies when it's under pressure.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      you just had to bring up sharkbites

these guys are going to tear this up

i would be more worried about anything that is a liquid, putty, dope, wax ring. more so to speed up the time it takes to get to room temperature.

o-rings have a working range and this applies when it's under pressure.

rick.
      He didn't say the "S" word...did he? Handyman?....Sharkbite? This could get interesting.
      The Other Rick

Comment

I would avoid sharkbites on any permanet work no matter where you live

wookie

Comment

if it is plastic don't flex it until it is warmed up unless you want a two piece item,
          (some plastics have a better temperature range than others),

any thing that is water based, even some solvent things seen to be effected by the cold, some glues and so on.

as far as hard parts I would not be to concerned about,

as stated batteries and items with batteries in them,

power washers or jetter, and any thing that water runs through unless winterized with RV antifreeze.

also have your car/truck radiator checked for antifreeze strength and washer fluid full strength in the washer container,

and do not lick the pump handle or flag pole.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Ah a handyman doing plumbing repairs. This will be fun.

From Michigans website:

Plumber's Licenses
            To do plumbing work in Michigan you need a master or journeyman license. To get an application for a license, contact:
            Michigan Department of Labor
            Bureau of Construction Codes/Plumbing Board
            7150 Harris Drive
            P.O. Box 30254
            Lansing, MI 48909
            (517) 241-9330
            http://www.michigan.gov/cis/
            You will have to pass an exam to get a license. To qualify for the master exam you need two years of work experience as a Michigan licensed journeyman plumber. You must have completed the experience just before you apply for the exam. If you got your experience in another state or in some other way, you can appear before the Board and present your case to take the exam.
            The written part of the exam is on the general theory and practice of plumbing and Michigan plumbing laws and regulations. The practical part of the exam will test your ability to do various mechanical tasks connected with the plumbing trade.
            Plumber's license fees: It will cost you $50 to apply for the master exam. The license costs $200 and it's good for three years. If you can prove you have a valid license in a state with qualifications at least equal to Michigan's, you may be eligible for a Michigan license without taking the exam. You still need to pay the fee though.
            To qualify for the journeyman exam you must have at least three years experience as an apprentice plumber working under a master plumber. If you have Board-approved education you can use it for up to one year of the three years experience requirement. If you got your experience in another state or in some other way, you can appear before the Board and present your case to take the exam.
            The exam willl consist of oral, written, and practical tests and will cover the theory and practice of plumbing and knowledge of the state plumbing code, rules, and regulations.
            Journeyman's license fees: It will cost you $25 to apply for the journeyman exam. The license costs $20 and it's good for one year, expiring on December 31 each year. If you can prove you have a valid license in a state with qualifications at least equal to Michigan's, you may be eligible for a Michigan license without taking the exam. You still need to pay the fee though.
            Last edited by SewerRatz; 12-18-2009, 10:51 AM. Reason: Added info about plumbing in Michigan
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
            X