Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stupid DIY Tricks, Broken Snake in Drain Line

One lase thing.

Note the stack is about 8 feet from the washing machine drain. I think the WM drain goes straight down, the bar sink tees in and they both tee into the main waste line.

I also think that the vent for the WM drain is tied-in in the attic.

Comment

Re: Stupid DIY Tricks, Broken Snake in Drain Line

Originally posted by IowaHomeowner View Post
      One lase thing.

Note the stack is about 8 feet from the washing machine drain. I think the WM drain goes straight down, the bar sink tees in and they both tee into the main waste line.

I also think that the vent for the WM drain is tied-in in the attic.
      At this point with out being there it's only a guessing game for us
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Update

Plumber came yesterday.

First thing we did was check the last cleanout to the street and we couldn't see anything as it was too deep and had what looked like a 45 bend.

Next we looked for a cleanout in the washing machine line and could not locate one in the finished basement.

So we started tracing the line from the washing machine down and by pulling some light fixtures and drilling a few holes we were able to locate the drain line in the basement wall.

Cutting through the drain line revealed the snake (yeah!)

That was all we had time for yesterday and the plumber could not come back until Thursday so we agreed that I would work on getting the snake out and he would come back and install the cleanout on Thursday

Not having a bolt cutter I used my 4" grinder with a metal cutting wheel. I filled the area around the pipe with wet rags to catch the sparks. I was working in about an 8 inch square hole in a finished, insulated wall.

I also secured the lower part of the snake with a channel lock to insure it would not fall and covered to lower pipe pipe to insure the upper part of the snake could not drop down into it. As it turns out neither precaution was necessary as both parts of the snake needed to be pulled from their respective ends.

It cut easily and I removed one piece of the snake of about 10' above the cut and the balance below. I then used a 2 inch rubber coupling to close the cut and as of right now I have a working drain line.

In the end I'll probably have about 2 hours of a plumber's time, a few small materials and 4 small holes in the drywall to patch, texture and paint.

I consider myself lucky.

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
        X