No announcement yet.

Replacing Single Shower Handle

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Replacing Single Shower Handle

    The Moen handle on my shower broke. I took the old handle off and replaced it with a new handle. The problem now is that the new handle and the stem will turn all the way around. It is very hard to find the hot and cold now and to turn the water all the way off. I was going to replace the entire handle with a new one from Lowe's but they told me that I would have to cut into the wall and be able to get to the pipes. Is this accurate? How do I go about changing out the handle?

    Thank you!

  • #2
    Re: Replacing Single Shower Handle

    well you've come to the right place, here

    moen is a pretty standard valve. i'm assuming it's an older pull out and turn with a brass 1200 or 1225 plastic cartridge.

    the handle has a built in stop that will ride on the tube covering the cartridge. the raised hump at the top of the tube is what controls the amount of turning from hot to cold.

    make sure that the tube is not pushed too far into the wall and the plastic handle is properly tightened.

    most moens i can replace the cartridge with only removing the handle and slipping off the center tube. this will expose the clip and allow for removal.

    the plastic magnum 1225 cartridge is a good choice unless you have gal. pipe. replace the cartridge and be prepared for a very smooth and easy operation of the valve. make sure t shut off the main before you remove the clip retainer.

    the hot and cold can be reversed just by rotating the stem 1/2 turn and does not require any water to be turned off.

    good luck and let us know how it went

    phoebe it is


    • #3
      Re: Replacing Single Shower Handle

      It sounds like you picked up the wrong handle or they gave you the wrong handle. You may have a posi- temp handle on a regular cartridge.The posi-temp handle is larger and will turn 360 degrees on that faucet


      • #4
        Re: Replacing Single Shower Handle

        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        i'm assuming it's an older pull out and turn with a brass 1200 or 1225 plastic cartridge.
        Or it's a 1222 Posi-temp and the handle is upside down.