Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Faucet - Grease

Hello,

My American Standard kitchen sink faucet was really hard to move the spout so I took it apart and cleaned out all the calcium then replaced the large o-rings. I put std plumbers high temp grease, Harvey's faucet & valve grease, the brown stuff in the small tube for $2, on the o-rings. Everything was easy to move for a couple of days and now it seems harder to move first thing in the morning then loosens up.

Also, the cartridge inside the faucet has 2 ceramic discs with holes in them that meter the hot and cold water. They seem to be very slippery when mating them together but after moving them on each other for a bit they get very hard to slide almost like they're stuck on each other. Moving the water handle seems harder than it should be.

Is there some special grease I should be using on the o-rings and ceramic discs so this will remain easy to operate more than a couple of days?

Not looking to replace the faucet at this time especially if I just need a special grease.

Thanks!!

Re: Kitchen Faucet - Grease

You seem to be on the right track in that you replaced the o rings and used new faucet grease. Older o rings tent to swell and cause the tightening issue you had. I use Pasco brand grease and it works well in most instances. Some of the other greases out there wash out after a short time. I'm finding that some of the newly Installed Moens have grease washout and I get a callback a month later for a stiff moving faucet. As far as the cartridge, clean off all the old grease and try again.

Comment

silicone grease is a better product, but also a messier product to work with.

typically, american standard ceramic cartridges are lifetime warranted. call a/s for replacement parts

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

typically, american standard ceramic cartridges are lifetime warranted. call a/s for replacement parts

rick.
        I noticed the Lifetime warranty but what good is it if you have to send the faucet or part to them? I can't be without a kitchen faucet for a couple weeks or even a couple of days. Same thing happened with my previous A/S faucet. Started leaking in the evening and had to rush out and get a new one. Warranty was useless then as well. I have a Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Ace and Sears Hardware by me and none has A/S replacement parts even though they sell their faucets.

We have some of the best water in the country but it seems these faucets only last 5-6 years. We'll give them a call and see if they try to blame the water and get out of the warranty.

Thanks

Comment

i've never had a customer tell me that a/s wanted the parts back. or the faucet. typically they send it by usps. if you want to pay for exresss, they will do it too on your dime.

call them with the problem and they will send you the parts

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

i've never had a customer tell me that a/s wanted the parts back. or the faucet. typically they send it by usps. if you want to pay for exresss, they will do it too on your dime.

rick.
            Thanks Rick!!

Looking at the warranty it didn't seem that friendly. Appreicate the insight!!

Comment

Usually it takes anywhere from 3-7 days to receive a warranty item from the manufacturer. Typically the manufacturer wants to ship it to the homeowner due to mistrusting the plumber thinking they may charge for warranty parts.
              In the county I live in we have no American Standard dealer and all items we need from them must come from the manufacturer the same with Elger.
              I like silicone grease it seems to wear longer

Comment

Heat proof grease destroys the particular synthetic rubber they use to make o-rings, etc. in Europe. Silicone grease doesn't. Or so my European faucet reps tell me.

Comment

Wrecks seals/o rings in Europe and known to the state of California
                  to cause eye worms.
                  I'm a fan of the silicone grease too.The traditional heat proof grease
                  does not seem to last.
                  Have the running experiment at home.

Comment

rick.
                    You better know the exact part you need or prepared to get frustrated. Like calling Kohler in my experience.

J.C.

Comment

rick.
                      Here's an update on my project.

I cleaned out all the old style high temp grease and replaced it with Silicone grease from Lowes that cost $3.50. I was surprised most places don't have the Silicone grease. It's been 4 days and spout is moving as freely as when I put it in. For anyone wondering which grease to use on the faucet o-rings, you want to use the Silicone. You're wasting your time with the old style. I'll never use it again.

As for the ceramic discs in the cartridge, I wasn't that lucky. Put a light coating of Silicone grease on them and it was worse than the old style grease. The water control lever was very difficult to operate. I called American Standard and they were very friendly and sent me out a new part ASAP. Got it in 3 days and everything is fixed and working like a charm. Hats off to American Standard!! They take care of their customers.

Thanks to all that posted especially Plumber Rick who suggested calling for a warranty part. I thought they'd want the old part to inspect like it mentions in the warranty before getting a replacement which would be a worthless warranty. Can't be without a kitchen faucet for a week. Without Plumber Rick mentioning what he did, I would have ate the cost of a new part or even replaced the entire faucet.

Comment

Working...
                      X