Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - Get the water running

Hello all,

I am so happy to find this forum with all the experts in home improvements and pick up all the great tips in here.

I have just purchased an abandon home through public auction. I will soon moving into this new home but before I do, there are certain things I need to get done like figuring how to get the furnace and water running. I have already contacted the local power and water company to clear the bill so that there are power and water run into the house.

I check the water main and its meter and see that the meter read 7.3 (meter is from 0 - 10), meaning there are pressure in the pipe. The shut off valves locate before and after the water meter are parallel to the pipe which I believe are at the ON position. I checked and saw no other valves by the sinks, toilets, bath tubes, kitchen faucet or any where else along the water pipe. There is no water at any faucets that I tried to turn on, no water in the toilet, basically, no water running at all!

Actually, there was just a little water running at one of the faucet in the basement but I have been trying for the last 2 days and now it has stopped running.

If anyone know what I was doing wrong to get the water running please point it out to me. My last option is calling in a plumber sometime in the days ahead and he will chrage me $90 just for comming out Please help if you know the solution to my problem. Many thanks!

Re: HELP - Get the water running

Originally posted by Chris_MD View Post
    Hello all,

I am so happy to find this forum with all the experts in home improvements and pick up all the great tips in here.

I have just purchased an abandon home through public auction. I will soon moving into this new home but before I do, there are certain things I need to get done like figuring how to get the furnace and water running. I have already contacted the local power and water company to clear the bill so that there are power and water run into the house.

I check the water main and its meter and see that the meter read 7.3 (meter is from 0 - 10), meaning there are pressure in the pipe. The shut off valves locate before and after the water meter are parallel to the pipe which I believe are at the ON position. I checked and saw no other valves by the sinks, toilets, bath tubes, kitchen faucet or any where else along the water pipe. There is no water at any faucets that I tried to turn on, no water in the toilet, basically, no water running at all!

Actually, there was just a little water running at one of the faucet in the basement but I have been trying for the last 2 days and now it has stopped running.

If anyone know what I was doing wrong to get the water running please point it out to me. My last option is calling in a plumber sometime in the days ahead and he will chrage me $90 just for comming out Please help if you know the solution to my problem. Many thanks!
    Consider who you are asking for help before you make too many statements like the one you just made. It pissed me off and I'm NOT a plumber.
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

AMEN.

I dont know what your occupation is but like many you seem to focus only on the amount of money you have in your pocket and not the value we as Professionals can bring to you.
      It sometimes looks like we are not doing much but that is what we are trained to do, LOOK,LISTEN and ASSESS. Before running to the BIG GREEN SHED who employ burnt-out hacks that couldnt make it in the real world and spending more than yo need to why not trust a PROFESSIONAL instead of insulting him. Truely speaking most Plumbers around the WORLD are worth more than they either charge or are paid. Dont be too quick to judge by MONEY alone

Comment

The $90 is not all tht bad, you could always just go to wally world and buy bottled water. Why not just pay the pro to get your water running, he will know what you don't.

What kind of business are you in?? I am sure most would say "OMG you charge too much for what little you do!!"

G3

Comment

Well said G3. I was reaching for similar words but couldnt quite get there. The thing that never changes is the perception that we are over-charging. You too know the sacrifices we all make to get an education as well as the crazy hours we work in the interests of Heath and Safety of teh Communities we serve day in day out

Comment

Oh my! Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone with what I was asking. It's no big deal to call in the plumber but I thought it was just a minor problem that could easily be solved. I was wrong so once again, my appologize to all for sounding offensive which I did not mean at all.

PEACE

Comment

Chris is the meter inside or outside in the yard? If it's outside there may be ANOTHER valve located just before the meter pit. Your water authority may have turned it off there using a special valve key. If the account is in good standing have WSSC come out and check it.

Look for a hidden valve where the water line comes in the house.

Comment

are you sure it is turn on at the curb,
                (I have very little experience with use meters, but it could be stuck and showing a false reading for pressure, even tho I never knew water meters ever showed pressure,
                normally only gallons used or amount of water used in some form, it may be different than gallons).
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Abandoned house, System Analyst salary, and $90.00 is too much.

Call a plumber, HVAC contractor, and electrician. Probably all checked for $300.00 with recommendations or improvements that will save you money anyway.

Cheapie weepie.

J.C.

Comment

Call an experienced tech. If you can't get the water on then I hope you don't mess with the furnace. A few weeks back a guy blew himself up doing the same thing you are doing. Abandoned house, needed heat and water, did not know what he was doing and boom. It is worth the money.
                    DIRTFT

Comment

Working...
                    X