Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New galvanized main?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Won't the pipe have the proper labels and/or stamps that are required by ASTM, ASSME, etc. to be allowed to be sold?

J.C.
    Yes it has to have the Standards it was built to and the Country of Origins.

Now if you have old pipe it may not have anything. There was a time the manufacturers were allowed to just put a tag on a lift of pipe as long as it was to be sold as a lift.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Noone would ever install a galvanized main here now. Foreign or domestic.

Have to be some strange situation.

J.C.

Comment

In our valley we had a major problem (70s) with annealed copper due to our well water. When the developers switched back to Galvanize (80s) they used Korean pipe and not domestic. I was fixing leaks in pipe seams of homes that were only 3-months old. I use to figure most homes started leaking between 3-years and 5-years and by 8-years people got tired of the leaks and repiped in hard copper. Between the leaking soft copper and the leaking Korean Gal we sure repiped a lot of homes.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
          Why would anyone ask "a licensed contractor (not a plumber)" to bid on something that is clearly a plumbing job?
          Because the majority of people shopping for plumbers, don't know the difference.

And the scam artist contractor played to that weakness.

Comment

Well, the whole galvanized thing just seemed sorta stupid to me, which why I mentioned it here in the first place. I just couldn't believe it when the guy said that copper and plastic weren't approved. I wish I had wandered over there to see what the quality of pipe was, but I was tiling a floor at my house and once you start and get your buckets of thinset mixed and coming there's not a lot of time to screw around.

Based on everything else, I would be shocked if it was USA-made pipe and fittings. It's probably whatever they sell at the local H-D. I haven't bought galvy in so long I don't have a clue what they sell there these days. I did buy all the type L for my own complete repipe at H-D, it was USA pipe and nibco fittings, but seems like some of the fittings - maybe the drop elbows? - were in nibco baggies but the part was stamped China. Hope they're ok. About 7 months on the repipe so far, knock wood.

But I don't get the sense that the contractor was a scammer. After talking to him, I just think he didn't wasn't too sharp on plumbing and had no business taking that job. To his credit, he was there until after dark and didn't leave until he had the water turned back on.

But I agree with Rick. I don't think my neighbor is done with his water main problems, at best just a postponement.

Comment

Sometimes reading threads on this forum I feel that I have gone back in a time machine as galvanised pipe is a thing of the past in Aus in domestic plumbing and is only used in commercial for fire services as its higher melting point.

Tony

Comment

Andy , I'm in San Rafael. If You are close E mail . I would like to stop by.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I Know this is not comparing apples to apples,
                  and I know things were once made much better,

and it may just be our water and soils,

but I have galvanized pipe for water pipe that is most likely 100 years old on the farm, (going to the stock tank and the house) and have one location, where I caught it a trencher that was replaced a section with foreign pipe, (as that was all that was available to me), now pushing 20 years, and have not had any leaks as of yet,

(yes I am in the process of replacing the lines as I have time and money),

I do know galvanized the drop pipe in the windmills does not last like it once did tho,
                  20 to 30 years is about all we can get out of it now.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Well, I ragged about the contractor not changing the old shut off... but in all fairness and to his credit he returned and now there's a new ball valve. Don't know if the owner complained or if he just didn't have one when he did the work (he actually did it on a Sunday).

You can see the pipe where it comes out of the ground to meet the valve. It's bright and shiny, so as Rick points out it's probably imported. Too bad.

I learned something else that was disturbing. The owners are so strapped that they actually went without running water for 3 days until they found this guy that apparently they could afford. Sure wish they had come over to ask for help, but I guess "pride" being what it use (most often not a good thing) they didn't. If nothing else I could have rigged up a temporary for them. They have a 2 year old and another on the way. It's not a poor or run-down neighborhood... sort of your typical middle class area. This economy just sucks.

Comment

That makes a little more sense. I wouldn't think pex would be that much more of an expense though.
                      Last edited by stokefire7; 01-07-2010, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I don't know why he wouldn't tunnel it's so much easier and less mess. What we used to do is dig our trench up to the sidewalk cut the old pipe on both ends then take a solid steel rod with a tapered end somewhat larger than the previous pipe and bang it in there with a sledge hammer. this would knock out the old one and create a tunnel so we could easily push through the new pipe. I have done it dozens of times and works great.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                          I Know this is not comparing apples to apples,
                          and I know things were once made much better,

and it may just be our water and soils,

but I have galvanized pipe for water pipe that is most likely 100 years old on the farm, (going to the stock tank and the house) and have one location, where I caught it a trencher that was replaced a section with foreign pipe, (as that was all that was available to me), now pushing 20 years, and have not had any leaks as of yet,

(yes I am in the process of replacing the lines as I have time and money),

I do know galvanized the drop pipe in the windmills does not last like it once did tho,
                          20 to 30 years is about all we can get out of it now.
                          In fairness to galvanized, I have worked in houses with 50+ years of service.

Some starting to give trouble and some not. You could say that good galvanized or brass has proven to be some of the best distribution pipe for durability.

Most of us just seem to hate it because we run into it at a time of failure and it's a b!tch to work on then.

J.C.

Comment

JC, my house had 40 years of time on the galvanized internal piping. I changed it this past year, and the new system worked a lot better. But I think the improvement was because of improving the size of the pipe and the design. The old galvanized actually didn't look too bad. I imagine longevity all depends on the quality of the material used and the particular chemistry of the water.

Dan, I completely agree. I've tunneled with a water drill (messy), but the last few times I did exactly what you said and it was quick, easy and no mess. The patched concrete looks pretty bad IMO.

Comment

Boy, the stuff you see on the internet!!

I have never heard of, let alone seen, a water service made of galvanized pipe. Do you mean galvanized pipe as in 21 foot lengths T& C?

Around here, Michigan, the old ones are lead, newer are "K" soft copper and I think they are starting to use plastic of some type.

At one time the City mains were made of oak with holes bored in them to attach to the house main. I have seen the oak mains that had been found during various excavations. I doubt that any are still in use.

What depth are the mains at in CA? Here they are required to be minimum 5 feet deep as the frost line is about 42". Farther up north they are required to be deeper. During a cold winter some of the old mains that are only 3-4 feet deep freeze and need to be thawed, usually by a welding rig.

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
                                Boy, the stuff you see on the internet!!

I have never heard of, let alone seen, a water service made of galvanized pipe. Do you mean galvanized pipe as in 21 foot lengths T& C?

Around here, Michigan, the old ones are lead, newer are "K" soft copper and I think they are starting to use plastic of some type.

At one time the City mains were made of oak with holes bored in them to attach to the house main. I have seen the oak mains that had been found during various excavations. I doubt that any are still in use.

What depth are the mains at in CA? Here they are required to be minimum 5 feet deep as the frost line is about 42". Farther up north they are required to be deeper. During a cold winter some of the old mains that are only 3-4 feet deep freeze and need to be thawed, usually by a welding rig.
                                Plastic is 18" and steel is 12" unless the area is susceptible to frost.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X