X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New galvanized main?

The next door neighbors, a young couple, had a broken main. Same tract as my house, 42 years old. The main was galvanized, running diagonally across underneath the concrete driveway.

The kids have no money, so they hired a licensed contractor (not a plumber) who was the low bidder. I went over to chat with the guy... he said he was going to put in galvanized pipe again. I asked why he would do that when there are better alternatives... he said copper was not to code.

I said, "what about plastic?"

He says, it's no good, and not to code.

Hmmm.

I didn't put it in, but I know that the main at my house, just next door, from the meter to to house is plastic.

The "contractor" also cut the sidewalk... I would have tunneled underneath. I've done it several times... a little messy but really didn't take very long.

So for you guys in CA, and particularly No. CA... it true that copper and plastic are not to code for a residential water main? I'm having a hard time believing that this guy has his facts straight, but thought I should ask those that know.

Re: New galvanized main?

I'm not in CA, so I should keep my mouth shut. But I think he's high on something.

J.C.

Comment

Sounds funny to me.

Comment

The hair is standing up on the back of my neck again.
        Copper Not To Code!!!!

Comment

PVC, PEX, Poly and copper are all legal in California as a water main. The problem with the plastic pipes is you need to redo your electrical ground in most homes when replacing an old galvanize line. If they are using galvanize I hope they at least just domestic pipe.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Hi Mark,

I had the same thought about at least using domestic galvanized pipe.

But I bet that between the owner's price-shopping and the contractor... who seems a little goofy.... what he put in was the cheapest stuff he could find. Which usually means, imported. Not so good.

The kids have no $$, so they're only changing the main from the meter to the shutoff valve in front of the house. All points downstream remain untouched - original galvanized. The cold water electrical bonding connection, per code, is just inside the structure on the old galvy, so even had they put plastic from the meter to the shutoff valve, I think it would have been ok, no?

The contractor finished today. I was astonished to see that he didn't even change the gate valve shutoff!! It looks like the original. Guess he didn't want to disturb the old rusted stuff. Or maybe he was just plain cheaping out.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
              Hi Mark,

I had the same thought about at least using domestic galvanized pipe.

But I bet that between the owner's price-shopping and the contractor... who seems a little goofy.... what he put in was the cheapest stuff he could find. Which usually means, imported. Not so good.

The kids have no $$, so they're only changing the main from the meter to the shutoff valve in front of the house. All points downstream remain untouched - original galvanized. The cold water electrical bonding connection, per code, is just inside the structure on the old galvy, so even had they put plastic from the meter to the shutoff valve, I think it would have been ok, no?

The contractor finished today. I was astonished to see that he didn't even change the gate valve shutoff!! It looks like the original. Guess he didn't want to disturb the old rusted stuff. Or maybe he was just plain cheaping out.
              Cheaping out probably. Before moving into the house I currently live in, a general contractor replaced all the waterlines in my family's house with pex (were copper) during a renovation. He didn't change a single shutoff valve in the place! Now, when I do maintenance plumbing work shutting stuff off is a game of "which valve is going to leak next?" Needless to say now that I started plumbing I know how it should be done and some amateur stuff was done here. Too bad I didn't know then what I know now. Ah well, everything in the house works fine though, thank god!

Comment

We use pvc water mains all the time. If going under a drive way I like to use sch. 80. Do a good job back filling and try to keep the cement trucks from driving over the trenches.

Comment

Why would anyone ask "a licensed contractor (not a plumber)" to bid on something that is clearly a plumbing job?

Comment

Well, that's a good question. The owners are really strapped. He was the low bidder. I think that's the entire reason right there.

Comment

i've seen this many times before young homeowner has a friend of a friend thats a "contractor" type deal... i then get called upon and see ditch full of home depot import pipe, merchant couplings and plumbers putty use as thread sealant and a globe valve on the main..

Comment

yea is this contractor up to code

Comment

forget the fact that the pipe is exposed to the wet dirt.

i say he gets 3 to 4 years out of the new gal. main if it's import. pretty easy to spot as the import tends to be real shiney and the domestic tends to be a duller grey.

i don't even use gal nipples on water anymore. all brass.

hope you neighbor is in a better financial situation in a few years. they will need it

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

The pipe will be stamped with the country of origin. Out here most Plumbing Supply houses have not sold Domestic Gal in years so you have to go to an Industrial supply place.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              The pipe will be stamped with the country of origin. Out here most Plumbing Supply houses have not sold Domestic Gal in years so you have to go to an Industrial supply place.

Mark
                              Won't the pipe have the proper labels and/or stamps that are required by ASTM, ASSME, etc. to be allowed to be sold?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X