Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulphur smell and magnesium anode rod ?

My best friend just bought a house on well water. He has a BAD sulphur odor when he runs hot water. Guy installing water softner and filter says replace or just remove the anode rod to get rid of the smell. I asked some of the plumbers I work with, they say they don't know as they don't deal with well water and never ran into this problem. Any ideas ?

Re: Sulphur smell and magnesium anode rod ?

switch it out with an Aluminum anode rod and it should take care of the smell and still protect the water heater. If the rod is taken out altogether it voids the warranty on the heater.
    ________
    HERBAL HEALTH
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:28 PM.
    Mike

Comment

With any water softner the anode rod should be changed to aluminum.

Was their a softner in place prior to the new conditioning equipment?How long have they had the problem? Do they have an areator tank with the well equipment?

Comment

Rich. There was no water softner before. The new equipment isn't installed yet. Water softner guy was there today. He bought the house 12/28/09. The problem was there from day one. As for the aerator I do not know. I'll ask him he's at work now. Thanks guys.

Comment

Another thing that will kill the smell: Turn the water up to 140°. That will kill the bacteria that is causing it. I'm not sure how safe it is to have 140° water in your heater, but it will cure the problem.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I Think you've got something here! In Scandinavia, a temperature of 60'C is reccomended in water heaters for precisely this reason. A few years back, during an "energy saving drive", most people turned the temp down to about 40'C. The resulting smelly water, affected nearly everybody, and occurred amazingly rapidly, within about 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
              Another thing that will kill the smell: Turn the water up to 140?. That will kill the bacteria that is causing it. I'm not sure how safe it is to have 140? water in your heater, but it will cure the problem.
              Not wise at all to set temperature over 130 some say not to set it over 125. just look at this chart and see what kind of safety risk you are causing by turning up a water heater. Use a safer method to take care of your smell issue. Attachment
              ________
              CHRYSLER IV-2220 HISTORY
              Attached Files
              Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:29 PM.
              Mike

Comment

There are a number of things that can cause sulfur smell in water. Water heater anode rods are one of them. Since the smell is only in the hot water anode rods aren't a bad start. Myself I'd start with bleaching the system and seeing if that works before moving to replace rods.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                  switch it out with an Aluminum anode rod and it should take care of the smell and still protect the water heater. If the rod is taken out altogether it voids the warranty on the heater.
                  Thermostatic Valve.

J.C.

Comment

OK kids,safety aside,There are a few things you can do.
                    I have had luck hooking a hose to the drain valve and letting it blow into a sink or floor drain for a hour.
                    There are methods to add chemicals to disinfect them then flushing the tank.
                    Start with something easy,Do the flush then
                    set the temp up to a "warmer" or above the halfway setting.
                    Once your back up to temp have a sniff.if all is good , run the temp back to the factory mark.
                    Good luck
                    Last edited by Jay Mpls; 01-06-2010, 11:36 PM. Reason: dumB

Comment

You can also inject chlorine with a Feed Pump, but I really detest putting chlorine into your water unless you absolutely have to.

Changing out the rod is the best and cheapest way to go. Do a little reading though. An aluminum rod can cause as much smell as any other standard rod.

I have found that chlorinating for smells is only a temporary fix then it's right back again as soon as the bacteria starts growing. And yes, the smell is from bacteria not just the rod itself.
                      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X