Tankless in a pizza resturant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tankless in a pizza resturant

[QUOTE=SewerRatz;272821]The restaurants that I have put in tankless water heaters over their 120 gallon 800K BTU heaters have noticed a huge savings in gas consumption. I do not know how they do not see an energy savings. The tankless heaters are only using BTU's during a demand state. So when there is no demand (when the place is closed) the heaters do not run unlike a tank heater.

One place I was in had a 250K 80 gallon heater right near the fire sprinkler RPZ I was testing. No one was there running any water when I tested the RPZ, in the hour it took me alert the alarm company do the test write up the paperwork, the heater ran 5 times to reheat the 80 gallons of water. Now when I put in two tankless units for them they called me after the first few months to inform me they are saving over $350 a month with the tankless water heaters.

I believe in your experience and intelligence based on what I've read from you Ron. But I have to say that something seems missing. To me at least.

Why would a 250K BTU 80 gallon heater fire every 12 minutes with no water being used? Sounds like something was out of whack there contributing greatly to their fuel bill.

Right? Wrong? Teach me otherwise.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by lmpg View Post
      Here is a pic of two in a new DELCO Pizza Hut here.

Anyone see anything missing?
      Link, Vacuum Breaker, & I don't think they'll allow us to tie relief valves together.

At least not here.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        The restaurants that I have put in tankless water heaters over their 120 gallon 800K BTU heaters have noticed a huge savings in gas consumption. I do not know how they do not see an energy savings. The tankless heaters are only using BTU's during a demand state. So when there is no demand (when the place is closed) the heaters do not run unlike a tank heater.

One place I was in had a 250K 80 gallon heater right near the fire sprinkler RPZ I was testing. No one was there running any water when I tested the RPZ, in the hour it took me alert the alarm company do the test write up the paperwork, the heater ran 5 times to reheat the 80 gallons of water. Now when I put in two tankless units for them they called me after the first few months to inform me they are saving over $350 a month with the tankless water heaters.

I believe in your experience and intelligence based on what I've read from you Ron. But I have to say that something seems missing. To me at least.

Why would a 250K BTU 80 gallon heater fire every 12 minutes with no water being used? Sounds like something was out of whack there contributing greatly to their fuel bill.

Right? Wrong? Teach me otherwise.

J.C.
        Oh did I forgot to mention I felt the heat radiating from the heater. It is an older AO Smith heater. But still even if the heater was better insulated and only had to reheat the water once very hour, its still gas being used to keep the tank warm during hours the place is not using any hot water. So a tankless system can defiantly save them some money.

My example is not the only one where a restaurant or even a hotel has noted saving large sums of money converting to tankless systems. Also another advantage of a tankless system is if it leaks you just replace the leaking part within the tankless heater unlike where you need to replace the whole $5K and up tank heater. So in the long run they will save even more money just repairing the heaters verses replacing them.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        Ron's Facebook
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Link, Vacuum Breaker, & I don't think they'll allow us to tie relief valves together.

At least not here.

J.C.
          Good eye, i did miss that. Cant tie them together here either.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by lmpg View Post
            Over the summer, I put in a Rinnai in a national chain restauraunt store here.

The unit was spec'd by corporate.

They wanted it because they thought they'd save a ton of money.

I wanted it because this building is EXTREMELY light on make up air and they won't deal with that issue. The Rinnai takes that out of the equation.

During the pricing phase, I questioned the corp. engineer because I was thought they might need two. My concern was the winter months.

I was basically told I didn't know anything -do as I was asked.

Guess what? today I get a call- not enough hot water.

Unit set at 130 degrees with cold water temp at 46 degrees.

The Rinnai was throttling back the flow to maintain the 130 degrees and a prerinse faucet was bleeding the cold into the hot because of the restricted flow at the heater.

The easy, but not necessarily correct solution was check valves on the supplies to the faucet. That stops the bleed over, but hot water flow sucks on high draw devices.

Manager was all over me like stink on ugly until I informed him that His superiors were warned ON PAPER before the job was done.

I see you're in Buffalo. DON'T FORGET THE COLDER INCOMING WATER TEMPS OF THE WINTER!!!!
            Checked the incoming temp there, and it was 42*. We have a real cold spell coming tonight, down to zero. I'm sure that will drop the water temp even more. We get our water from lake erie so that has a big effect on our temps.
            DIRTFT

Comment

Well I went and looked at this job and boy does it have problems. I will just address the tank because I will be typing all night with problems with the HVAC system. The units are both on the second floor ( with no lighting at all by the way) HVAC and tank. They have a standard 40 gal that's about 15 years old. No insulation on any piping and very little insulation in the second floor. I got temp reading of 44*. Probably because the ovens were on. I explained the pros and cons of the tank less but the owner seems set on getting one. He was not concerned of a little cold water between uses. No way of piping a loop return without ripping out the ceiling above the kitchen. The owner says that they have had pipes freeze up on second floor before so I said "and a tank less will help with this how?" I am not one to turn away business but maybe you should be talking to an insulation contractor first. I tried to explain the heat loss is greater then both systems can handle even though the heating system is a mess. I am going to work up a price for him on one tankless ( because he does not want two) and a complete change out of the HVAC. I mean total replacement of everything. I hope he is sitting down when he gets his price. Also he want to do it after hours to not disturb the business. Can u say cha ching!
              DIRTFT

Comment

Working...
              X