Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC cleaner

Just a quick question.....
    I have a bottle of the purple PVC cleaning solvent.
    The purple color has faded away.
    The solvent still seems to be preparing the PVC for glue.

Is the stuff bad? and I need a new bottle of the stuff? Or is it still
    ok? I do not see any expiration date on the jar.

The cleaner solvent is kept in Arizona so freezing is never a challenge to this stuff.

Cactus Man

Re: PVC cleaner

i've never seen purple cleaner, it's always been primer. i have had primer go off white. when that happens i replace it. what are you talking about here? 3 bucks? breid...............

Comment

also mine is at 24.8 deg now i live in indiana. still good. been -20 deg never hurt it as far as i know. breid..............

Comment

I like to use the clear stuff just so I know that any contaminants are completely washed away and only fresh pipe ready for glue remains. Pretty hard to tell if its really clean when its purple..... Mine also sees -20 below so I dont think temp is a concern.

Comment

purple is code here its all we can use but i still use clear on trimouts and service work the inspectors know i'm always honest

Comment

Originally posted by mr bonds View Post
            purple is code here its all we can use but i still use clear on trimouts and service work the inspectors know i'm always honest
            Our local inspector will make you cut the trap adapters off if he doesn't see purple primer.

J.C.

Comment

cleaner & primer are not the same cleaner is junk you can buy primer in clear or purple. primer softens the pipe for glue. cleaner only cleans the pipe.

Comment

To answer your question....

If it used to be purple, and is not anymore...

REPLACE IT.
                It is cheap.
                It may seem to be doing it's job, but if it is so old that it is not purple anymore, I wouldn't trust it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

OK let me try this again................

I have a bottle of "OATEY PURPLE PRIMER"
                  It's for PVC and CPVC

WOW! made in USA!!!!!! it's printed "hecho en USA"

I do not see any "expiration date" what so ever.

SO... as a weekend warrior type and someone who may build some projects out of PVC
                  and maybe fix an irrigation run etc.
                  thus my usage is infrequent. But always ends up on a Friday night at 10:00p.m.

What is the shelf life?
                  Yes I realize an 8 oz bottle is not expensive but my point is if I have one in my shop what is a reasonable expectation of it being good? 1 year? two years? 6 months?

Now, I know the various OATEY glues do deteriorate over time and I have experienced the PVC glue/cement/ bond whatever you want to call it, lasts maybe a year.
                  then it's time to replace it. Again I really don't see any date code. But its deterioration is obvious.

I have date codes on other chemicals and glues. I also try not to buy large quantities as it's a shame to toss money in the trash if I don't use a lot.

Cactus Man

Comment

now we are getting someplace. www.oatey.com. click on use. click on contact us. here you are and there you go. i don't know about shelf life. when you find out please come back and enlighten us. i'm curious now myself. i usually throw away the solvent at the end of each job. sometimes the primer also. i bill them to each job. you use it irrigation, i'm usually inside. i've been on jobs where the joints didn't hold. not pretty. breid..............

Comment

me again. i'm in www.wolverinebrass.com. their primer has a 3 year shelf life. low voc. breid................

Comment

I haven't used primer or cleaner in over 25 years. The first time I did use Primer, the fittings blew apart. Using just clear Oatey, you can assemble the joint, give it a twist, and turn on the water. That's it.

Not being a plumber, I don't get inspected on my repairs or installs so I can do it in such a way that it works for me; not a one way fits all like our illustrious government instructs.
                        Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X