X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrostatic Testing

I have a situation where I need to Hydrostatic Test a product multiple times a day (50+) up to 1000psi.

The lines will be filled with up to 500 gallons of water. I need to bring it to pressure as quickly & safely as possible.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Hydrostatic Testing

1000psi

I've tested a ton of water mains at around 150psi and I've seen some pretty bad blow outs when things were not thrust blocked properly.
    I can't imagine what could happen at 1000psi.

What are you testing?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
      1000psi

I've tested a ton of water mains at around 150psi and I've seen some pretty bad blow outs when things were not thrust blocked properly.
      I can't imagine what could happen at 1000psi.

What are you testing?
      Manufactured Hose.

J.C.

Comment

My jetter(Utah) can not only test that system to 1000psi working pressure,I'll crank it up to 3000 for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          My jetter(Utah) can not only test that system to 1000psi working pressure,I'll crank it up to 3000 for ya.
          Thanks. Similar to what's being done now but it's taking too long. Remember, the volume. Bringing 500 gallons up to 1000psi reasonably quick is what's needed.

J.C.

Comment

Fill it to street pressure from a fire hydrant then finish it with pressure washer to 1000#

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Fill it to street pressure from a fire hydrant then finish it with pressure washer to 1000#
              Already doing something similar. Filling with one pump & reservoir then bringing to pressure with a high pressure pump setup.

That has been giving a time of approximately 11 minutes to bring to pressure after the lines are filled and purged of air.

I'm looking at changing the pump but it's difficult to find tables or performance charts for the time it takes for it to do something.

For example: You can find all kinds of things about gpm, psi, rpms, internals, etc. But nothing involving performance to psi vs. volume.

Just thought some others may have some experience in something similar that I haven't seen yet.

Thanks for all ideas. Helps me think.....

EDIT CORRECTION: 11 MINUTES IS FOR THE SMALLER LINES. THE LARGER LINES HAVE BEEN TAKING 15+ MINUTES IS WHAT I WAS TOLD. DID NOT SEE IT AND TIME IT FOR MYSELF THOUGH.

J.C.
              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM. Reason: TIMING IS A LITTLE OFF. :)

Comment

1000 psi is a big # but i would think some form of a hydraulic cylinder would be the ticket. Assuming you have all the air out of the system the water itself should be relatively incompressible. It shouldn't take a massive volume to get it to pressure, just a heck of a lot of force. look up hydraulic multiplication of force and i think you'll get a pretty good idea of what i'm talking about. it all has to do with the diameter of the lines your testing vs the diameter of whatever piston your pushing against it with.

Comment

Got any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                    Got any pics?
                    Going to take some soon. Camera wasn't with me when I was checking things out.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

2.5 HTD ? Weld a manifold?

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                        2.5 HTD ? Weld a manifold?
                        Here comes my ignorance. What's 2.5 HTD? Heat Treated ???

The manifold is in place already and everything is in operation. Just looking to improve on the system.

I like the Hydraulic piston idea. Hadn't thought of that. Wonder what I could find???? Hmmmmm.....

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Sorry. Hose thread.

Comment

How could I make a hydraulic piston/pump push water up to 1000psi?

Might have to dismantle a tractor.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

go to the local tractor supp;y company or something of that nature. Actually an equipment dealer might be a better bet(backhoes, bobcats etc.) Those rams and hoses run at a couple thousand psi. heck better idea, think log splitter, they run a high psi hydraulic pump and are pretty cheap. you could rig up a injection cylinder to the end of the ram and be off like a prom dress

Comment

Working...
                              X