Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ADA bathroom in basement w/ upflush system

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ADA bathroom in basement w/ upflush system

    Please tell me what to do. I'm working with a very experienced plumber who is also a good friend, and I defer to his judgement. I began planning a basement bathroom, and because the main line exits home 12" above the slab, it will have to be an upflush system. My first thought was to jack the floor, run the pipes and put in a sump. My plumber talked me out of it, even though I would be doing all digging and back-filling. His thought was two-fold: 1.) That's a lot of work. 2.) You are on an extreemly high water table, and if your basement doesn't leak now LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!!.

    I have to agree with the water table issue, the fact the driveway is 400' and the front yard is a river for 6 month of the year is a testement to this fact. Problem is my dad is having a real hard time with stairs/steps ect. and is more or less a year away from a wheelchair. The whole point of the bathroom is so he doesn't have to climb stairs to use it. I've been dickering around for a way out and came up with the idea of a wall-hung rear discharge toilet could possibly discharge to an upflush toilet system/low-profile sump pump system.

    I know the limiting factor is the height of the toilet, but can someone tell me this may or may not be possible (I know, that phrase makes cringe when a customer says it) to have an upflush toilet without the raised floor I'd appreciate it.

  • #2
    Re: ADA bathroom in basement w/ upflush system

    i googled "wall hung rear discharge up flush toilet". try that. breid..................

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: ADA bathroom in basement w/ upflush system

      I believe I recall Zoeller making a package but I looked at a project awhile back and seems that a company called Saniflo made something more like what you would need.

      Here's a link.

      http://sanifloproducts.com/

      Good luck.

      J.C.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: ADA bathroom in basement w/ upflush system

        Do it the right way and remove some concrete and run underground piping to a sanitary crock. If you plan on making it ADA you have to also have a low threshold shower and you are not going to get this with a sani-flo upflush system or any other way I know of other than breaking up the floor. If you are going to do it, do it right the first time and and then you wont be kicking yourself in the a$$ later. If your plumber wont do it the way you want it done (the proper way) then find another plumber. If the water table is high you should have a storm crock to handle the ground water, so it should not matter if you remove some concrete. If you had a problem with that much ground water then the hydrostatic pressure would have been forcing it into your basement.
        ________
        Zephyr
        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:33 PM.
        Mike

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: ADA bathroom in basement w/ upflush system

          If you are worried about vibrating a possible crack when you bust up the floor, then just saw it. Easy enough to seal up the holes to where they won't leak.

          Going to be dusty hell though....

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: ADA bathroom in basement w/ upflush system

            If you are going to try to keep your dad at home as long as possible, you want the shower, so you'll need a pit. You could do the toilet only without the pit, but you'll want the shower. Do a nice big deep pit, and put it outside the bath so you don't have the boltheads of the cover for trip hazards. Pony up and run 220 to it so you can put a real grinder pump in so you don't have to pull the pump and dig the paper out of it.

            Make the shower stall BIG. Do a euro-style thing where the whole floor is tiled straibght into the shower with no curb or threshhold of any sort. Make the shower big enough to wheel the eventual wheel chair right in, turn it around, and do all this still with room for the shower chair he'll be sitting on for his shower and room for a couple people to help him out the wheel chair and into the shower. Think ahead where the grab rails are going to be and put framing in there to bolt them to so they are bomber. You'll save him a fall when the rails don't pull out the wall one day. Tile the walls 4 ft up so you can hose the whole room down. I've been through it. There'll be piss and **** on the floor if not the walls at some point, so plan for it.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: ADA bathroom in basement w/ upflush system

              Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
              If you had a problem with that much ground water then the hydrostatic pressure would have been forcing it into your basement.
              I'd thought of that. Honestly, I can't bear the thought of going through that much work/money to waste it on a "temporary" set up like a raised floor. The shower is the big deal. By the time I get the raised shower onto the raised floor its starting to look pretty stupid/slapped together.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: ADA bathroom in basement w/ upflush system

                Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                Do it the right way and remove some concrete and run underground piping to a sanitary crock. If you plan on making it ADA you have to also have a low threshold shower and you are not going to get this with a sani-flo upflush system or any other way I know of other than breaking up the floor. If you are going to do it, do it right the first time and and then you wont be kicking yourself in the a$$ later. If your plumber wont do it the way you want it done (the proper way) then find another plumber. If the water table is high you should have a storm crock to handle the ground water, so it should not matter if you remove some concrete. If you had a problem with that much ground water then the hydrostatic pressure would have been forcing it into your basement.
                Mike is SPOT on ! Get someone that knows foundation waterproofing well to help You button up tight before concrete pour! Good luck,You're a great Son
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: ADA bathroom in basement w/ upflush system

                  Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  If you are going to try to keep your dad at home as long as possible, you want the shower, so you'll need a pit. You could do the toilet only without the pit, but you'll want the shower. Do a nice big deep pit, and put it outside the bath so you don't have the boltheads of the cover for trip hazards. Pony up and run 220 to it so you can put a real grinder pump in so you don't have to pull the pump and dig the paper out of it.

                  Make the shower stall BIG. Do a euro-style thing where the whole floor is tiled straibght into the shower with no curb or threshhold of any sort. Make the shower big enough to wheel the eventual wheel chair right in, turn it around, and do all this still with room for the shower chair he'll be sitting on for his shower and room for a couple people to help him out the wheel chair and into the shower. Think ahead where the grab rails are going to be and put framing in there to bolt them to so they are bomber. You'll save him a fall when the rails don't pull out the wall one day. Tile the walls 4 ft up so you can hose the whole room down. I've been through it. There'll be piss and **** on the floor if not the walls at some point, so plan for it.
                  More Great advice
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: ADA bathroom in basement w/ upflush system

                    I know this will fall on deaf ears, but unless you get yourself a toilet seat bidet you are only taking half measures to care for your dad. I say YOU get one 1st so you know with absolutely no doubt how great they are then make sure you install one for your dad.
                    Last edited by saysflushable; 01-17-2010, 06:31 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: ADA bathroom in basement w/ upflush system

                      Well, the full bath plans have been demoted to a simple 1/2 bath in a rather large closet off the basement bedroom. After a serious talk I was told the type of care I was setting myself up to handle wouldn't be in the cards. Saniflo here I come!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X