X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Hub or Service Weight?

I am bidding a commercial plumbing job in Massachusetts. The building is one story and on a slab. I will be installing five bathrooms in this pizza place/pub. I am seeking opinions on whether to install 4" service weight or no hub cast iron for the drains. Someone told me the Massachusetts plumbing code requires service weight, but I cannot find that in the code book. No hub would cost less. Any comments & suggestions would be welcomed. Their will be about 60ft of buried cast iron.

Re: No Hub or Service Weight?

I would think that only service weight/push gasket would be allowed underground

Comment

It should say on the blueprint what to use.

Comment

honestly, if you can convince them to use plastic on the underground, you'll be doing them a favor.

has anyone seen what soda syrup does to cast iron

plastic is a great material if properly installed. it stays cleaner and doesn't rot. you do need to be careful around commercial dish washing temperatures.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Were there no specifications included with the plans? It's the owners/architect/engineers responsibility to specify what they want you to install.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            Were there no specifications included with the plans? It's the owners/architect/engineers responsibility to specify what they want you to install.
            Not always. It sometimes falls on the tradesmen for "design to code".

I myself have received commercial plans with only fixture placement.

No P section. No legend. Nothing. It's on me to figure out material, DWV sizing, supply sizing etc.

J.C.

Comment

Re: No Hub or Service Weight? BE CAREFUL

I don't understand this ! Why wouldn't You talk to the plumbing inspector in that city?
              Do You feel a Ca. or Ohio plumber will have the answer? I lived and built in Mass. Iwasn't allowed to touch any plumbing at all,of course . [ 40 years ago ] the inspectors and My plumbers were top notch. Do it wrong, NEVER PASS!!!!!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Not always. It sometimes falls on the tradesmen for "design to code".

I myself have received commercial plans with only fixture placement.

No P section. No legend. Nothing. It's on me to figure out material, DWV sizing, supply sizing etc.

J.C.
                That sure was nice of you to provide those owners with all of that free expertise at no charge and at the same time leaving yourself wide open for a possible lawsuit by them down the road.

Comment

That sure was nice of you to provide those owners with all of that free expertise at no charge and at the same time leaving yourself wide open for a possible lawsuit by them down the road.
                  I can't tell if you're taking shots at me or not. Let's assume not.

For one, who says it's free?

Secondly, I'm not sure exactly how one is "wide open" to lawsuits when designing and working within their professional parameters, insurance, & business "veil of protection".

But I will say that anyone, ANYONE, can be sued under the right circumstances.

Even someone that just makes birdhouses.

J.C.

Comment

No shot intended, didn't mean to come off that way if I did. More power to you if you're including a design fee in your bid price as spec writing is a commodity that shouldn't be given away free. As for the lawsuit part, all it takes is one minor error on your part as to what material to use and the cost of making it right falls squarely on your shoulders. With a written set of specs. to bid off of that wouldn't be the case as the blame would fall on others shoulders. Design/build can be a risky proposition sometimes.

Comment

We normally use service weight with gaskets under slab in new construction.
                      Its fast and you can reposition fittings with out taking it apart.you need to support each fitting and hub of pipe.
                      No- hub you must use underground approved clamps and in tight spots takes up less room than sv
                      PVC is not allowed unless it is on a dedicated bar or beauty salon line

Comment

No shot intended, didn't mean to come off that way if I did. More power to you if you're including a design fee in your bid price as spec writing is a commodity that shouldn't be given away free. As for the lawsuit part, all it takes is one minor error on your part as to what material to use and the cost of making it right falls squarely on your shoulders. With a written set of specs. to bid off of that wouldn't be the case as the blame would fall on others shoulders. Design/build can be a risky proposition sometimes.
                        Agreed. Written specs make it easier and another veil of protection to remove liability. Just not always that way though.

I like to think it makes me a better plumber in that I don't have to rely on a ME for everything.

Believe it or not, there are many "professional" tradesmen on site that if you didn't give them very detailed blueprints would just have to sit down because they were lost.

But then again, I sometimes get lost in the blueprints.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                          We normally use service weight with gaskets under slab in new construction.
                          Its fast and you can reposition fittings with out taking it apart.you need to support each fitting and hub of pipe.
                          No- hub you must use underground approved clamps and in tight spots takes up less room than sv
                          PVC is not allowed unless it is on a dedicated bar or beauty salon line
                          This a Guy plumbing in Mass.. It's the post You need. Good luck,and why not let Him Bid Your job?
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                          X