• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tankless install

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Where's the thermostatic valve?

J.C.
    Was not required by the code when I Installed it? Lol That heater is for a commercail kitchen none required.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      Was not required by the code when I Installed it? Lol That heater is for a commercail kitchen none required.
      For full Forum Membership one or more Senior Members must find something wrong with what you've done.

J.C.

Comment

Ah found this little gem in the code. I have to look in my old book to see if said just cold before or has it always said hot and cold. Either way it means that the water heater (tankless) must be properly sized to provide the volume of water at the required rates and pressures during peak use.

Now most people will point out to me that they live alone and will only be using hot water one fixture or appliance at a time. Thing is that will not meet the code as lets say a new family moved in and they would be doing laundry washing dishes and taking a shower, the smallest unit which most want installed, will not take care of that demand. As the manufactures of tankless water heaters say "Size it for the building, not the current amount of people"
        Section 890.1210 Design of a Building Water Distribution System
        a) Design and Installation. The design and installation of the hot and cold water building distribution systems shall provide a volume of water at the required rates and pressures to ensure the safe, efficient and satisfactory operation of fixtures, fittings, appliances and other connected devices during periods of peak use. No distribution pipe or pipes shall be installed or permitted outside of a building or in an exterior wall unless provisions are made to protect such pipe from freezing, including but not limited to wrap-on insulation or heat tape tracer line or wire.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          Ah found this little gem in the code. I have to look in my old book to see if said just cold before or has it always said hot and cold. Either way it means that the water heater (tankless) must be properly sized to provide the volume of water at the required rates and pressures during peak use.

Now most people will point out to me that they live alone and will only be using hot water one fixture or appliance at a time. Thing is that will not meet the code as lets say a new family moved in and they would be doing laundry washing dishes and taking a shower, the smallest unit which most want installed, will not take care of that demand. As the manufactures of tankless water heaters say "Size it for the building, not the current amount of people"
          Section 890.1210 Design of a Building Water Distribution System
          a) Design and Installation. The design and installation of the hot and cold water building distribution systems shall provide a volume of water at the required rates and pressures to ensure the safe, efficient and satisfactory operation of fixtures, fittings, appliances and other connected devices during periods of peak use. No distribution pipe or pipes shall be installed or permitted outside of a building or in an exterior wall unless provisions are made to protect such pipe from freezing, including but not limited to wrap-on insulation or heat tape tracer line or wire.
          Now let's get REAL technical and lawyery. See that in Red? Peak Use can and probably would be interpreted as all fixtures with a hot supply operating at once at their designed full volume.

If anyone doesn't think so ask an attorney. Or if you were to contract an installation that did not provide "peak use" then they could refuse payment or make you install something adequate to fulfill "peak use" for the original contracted price.

TM-50's for everyone!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Now let's get REAL technical and lawyery. See that in Red? Peak Use can and probably would be interpreted as all fixtures with a hot supply operating at once at their designed full volume.

If anyone doesn't think so ask an attorney. Or if you were to contract an installation that did not provide "peak use" then they could refuse payment or make you install something adequate to fulfill "peak use" for the original contracted price.

TM-50's for everyone!

J.C.
            That is how I interrupt the code. But sadly it is how the plumbing inspector interrupts the code. Here is another part of the same code explaining about minimum water pressure.
            c) Minimum Water Pressure. The minimum constant water service pressure on the discharge side of the water meter shall be (at least) 20 p.s.i.; and the minimum constant water pressure at each fixture shall be at least 8 p.s.i. or the minimum recommended by the fixture manufacturer.
            Now if a tankless heater is going to restrict the flow so it can provide the wanted set temperature, your volume and PSI will be way below the requirements.

Comment

People who do not know how to install tankless, shouldn't be installing them, it gives the units a bad name.

Is that gas line the proper size?

Your unit is sized to small for your location

You do not have a proper service kit on there, if you were to flush that, you would be flushing your whole hot water system.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

whats the grey hose hanging down in front? uf cable? breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by rjm78
                  3/4" Gas so yes!
                  It's designed (per the manufacturer) for 1-2 bath. I have a one and a half bath. ONE SHOWER
                  I tried the shower and had my wife open the sink full on, no problem. The odds of all sinks on for the the length of the shower.......come on now.
                  "proper service kit" is simply an option and I wasn't about to spend the money. I have however realized my mistake about not adding a hot side ball valve which I will do.
                  I'm a HVAC service tech who is well rounded, solders fine, and isn't a total idiot. It's my own darn house too so cool it with "giving them a bad name". I posted this to get advice, not get slammed from guys obviously better than I.
                  I think adding the ball valve is fine. And I'm glad you're happy with your install.

I myself always have to think code and guess higher than peoples needs/wants to prevent callbacks. That's why myself or others may point things out.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                  X