Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help After a Experience witha Big Rooter Company

Hi All,

This is my 1st post, please be gentle. Any feedback good or bad will be highly appreciated.

I have live in my home for almost 20 years and have always done every maintenance including the yearly maintenance of the main sewer line ( tree in the front yard) but since my surgery early 2008 it has been limiting the stuff i can do. Last month my kitchen sink and Bathtub started to slow down and is now completely clogged. So i called a Professional from one of the big Companies (Res_ _ _ Rooter). He said the main line is clogged which i doubt because the Toilet Bowl flushed with no problem, He snaked the mainline which is on the side of the house( kitchen and bathroom is in the middle of the house and overflow water comes out of the drain in the open space in the middle house like a patio) he encountered a blockage, pulled out with some roots-which is alot better from what what i pulled out before.He said there might be problem so in came the camera and he said there is a breakage in my pipe, so he used his pipe scanner and stated that the breakage is about 5 feet from the sidewalk and he said that the city line is in the middle of the street which i know is incorrect because the city line is exactly where he said the breakage is (manhole is just at the corner street).Basically he tried selling me this Trenchless sewer line for $ 10,000 which he stated earlier might not work and he might need to dig my front yard, city sidewalk and city street which could cost alot more(Scare tactic ?). He was able to negotiate with his boss to give an additional $500.00 discount if i sign the contract right there and there. What a horrible experience and sad part is i still paid him $250.00 for trying to screw me. ( i apologize i really get pissed off everytime i think about it ).

Since this experience i have really been hesitant calling another "Professional From a Big Company" and is just hoping that i will do it myself when i feel a little but things doesn't look it's not gonna get better anytime soon and we still have a blockage.Water is starting to turn Black in color.

When i saw this forum , i think i will get a better advice from the members here, so here is the help/advice i really need;

1. Do i need to pay the plumber even if he was not able to unblock the clog ? What is the standard practice ?

2. Do anyone knows a "Reputable Professional" in my area. Area Code 90502 ?.

Thanks Again for letting me vent and for any advice. you could offer.

Re: Need Help After a Experience witha Big Rooter Company

what you really need to do is to get a good local referred plumber or drain cleaner and not play russian roulette in the phone book.

check with your friends and neighbors for a good recommendation.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by mrtoyman View Post
      Hi All,

This is my 1st post, please be gentle. Any feedback good or bad will be highly appreciated.

I have live in my home for almost 20 years and have always done every maintenance including the yearly maintenance of the main sewer line ( tree in the front yard) but since my surgery early 2008 it has been limiting the stuff i can do. Last month my kitchen sink and Bathtub started to slow down and is now completely clogged. So i called a Professional from one of the big Companies (Res_ _ _ Rooter). He said the main line is clogged which i doubt because the Toilet Bowl flushed with no problem, He snaked the mainline which is on the side of the house( kitchen and bathroom is in the middle of the house and overflow water comes out of the drain in the open space in the middle house like a patio) he encountered a blockage, pulled out with some roots-which is alot better from what what i pulled out before.He said there might be problem so in came the camera and he said there is a breakage in my pipe, so he used his pipe scanner and stated that the breakage is about 5 feet from the sidewalk and he said that the city line is in the middle of the street which i know is incorrect because the city line is exactly where he said the breakage is (manhole is just at the corner street).Basically he tried selling me this Trenchless sewer line for $ 10,000 which he stated earlier might not work and he might need to dig my front yard, city sidewalk and city street which could cost alot more(Scare tactic ?). He was able to negotiate with his boss to give an additional $500.00 discount if i sign the contract right there and there. What a horrible experience and sad part is i still paid him $250.00 for trying to screw me. ( i apologize i really get pissed off everytime i think about it ).

Since this experience i have really been hesitant calling another "Professional From a Big Company" and is just hoping that i will do it myself when i feel a little but things doesn't look it's not gonna get better anytime soon and we still have a blockage.Water is starting to turn Black in color.

When i saw this forum , i think i will get a better advice from the members here, so here is the help/advice i really need;

1. Do i need to pay the plumber even if he was not able to unblock the clog ? What is the standard practice ?

2. Do anyone knows a "Reputable Professional" in my area. Area Code 90502 ?.

Thanks Again for letting me vent and for any advice. you could offer.
      Based on what you say it seems incorrect to be attempting to clear the main at the exterior of the house.

This person does not know what he/she is doing or is being dishonest. Once again, based on what YOU say.

If the main were to be blocked all the way up to the kitchen sink you would have bathtubs & toilets overflowing. Plus, when they removed the cleanout at the side of the house a good amount of water should come out due to the visible water you describe being present at the kitchen sink, patio drain, and bathtub.

Doesn't matter if they removed roots or soccer balls. The clog is in the house from your description.

As far as what is paid. That varies from business to business and what you may have signed. If you signed something and paid whether it was corrected or not then you might possibly be out of luck.

Because they probably have a clause written into the contract saying something to the effect of "not being responsible or liable for pre-existing conditions causing things to be unclearable".

Which is just a get-out for them alot of times because who decides what's a pre-existing condition? They do.

There are members on this Forum in California. Maybe they can help with a recommendation or come themselves.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

There is a member on this forum who works that area. He is an honest guy and would treat you right. If you send me a PM I can send you his contact info.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          There is a member on this forum who works that area. He is an honest guy and would treat you right. If you send me a PM I can send you his contact info.

Mark
          Perfect example of why posters should put in their location... Mark

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            If the main were to be blocked all the way up to the kitchen sink you would have bathtubs & toilets overflowing. Plus, when they removed the cleanout at the side of the house a good amount of water should come out due to the visible water you describe being present at the kitchen sink, patio drain, and bathtub.
            JC,Thanks for the reply.I agree with you on this but since he is the "Professional" I just took his word for it. The only thing clog is the Kitchen sink and Bathroom Lavatory. Water comes out of the patio drain because it very adjacent to the kitchen. Everything else work in the 2 bathroom and Washer Room. No slow down or clog.

As far as what is paid. That varies from business to business and what you may have signed. If you signed something and paid whether it was corrected or not then you might possibly be out of luck.

Because they probably have a clause written into the contract saying something to the effect of "not being responsible or liable for pre-existing conditions causing things to be unclearable".
            I did not sign anything before he started the job, he told me verbally that they charged $250.00 for the Main Line. I did not even bargain with him. At the end he stated that i still need to pay him, and to be honest i just wanted him out of my house. I recently found out that my neighbor had the same problem before where they tried to sell him this "Trenchless Lining" and just did it himself, problem solve. I think this person was already keen on selling me the Trenchless Relining from the very start.

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark, Thank You very much for the reply and i will pm you. I am in the Torrance, Redondo Beach Area.

Comment

You will find you have a blockage in a 2" line serving the sink. It's a little odd that the sink doesn't just come up immediately in the tub or patio drains if they are related issues. I suspect you have three separate, unrelated problems. It will all likely be fairly easily addressed.

It is possible that it was an honest mistake, and that he misdiagnosed your problem as a main line because the tub and patio drains are on a level such that a main line problem would show itself there, and that he confirmed his misdiagnosis in his mind when he found some roots in your main line. But even if it was honest, it was inept. The toilets working should be a dead giveaway. And it's rediculous that he did not go test the sink afterwards, find it still acting up, and address that at that time since that was the problem he was called out to fix in the first place.

Certainly if some roots were removed from your main line some good was done. While it did not address you current problem, it may have prevented another one that was about to occur.

But nonetheless, make no mistake; you've been had. You are a victim of ineptitude at the least, more likely dishonesty, most likely a fee/pay structure such that the tech is payed on commission and is more or less forced into upselling jobs to put food on the table.

If you are as angry about this as I am, you'd find the energy for a fight. If you'd rather just cut your losses and be glad to be shut of them, I can understand that. I do suggest, however, that, after you have the problem fixed by someone honest and competent, you call up the first company and tell them that their tech is either inept or dishonest or both. The parent company may not be aware of the abuse, though I suspect they are, and in fact encourage it. They may offer to come make it right. I'd tell them you prefer not to deal with them and if they'd like you'd be happy to accept a refund, but don't want them in your home.
              Last edited by Ace Sewer; 01-19-2010, 01:57 AM.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Just because the rooter co show up in a new truck loaded with all kinds of new tools to work with..
                Doesn'T mean he knows what hes looking at

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  But nonetheless, make no mistake; you've been had. You are a victim of ineptitude at the least, more likely dishonesty, most likely a fee/pay structure such that the tech is payed on commission and is more or less forced into upselling jobs to put food on the table..
                  As of today I consder myself lucky because of what i have just read at Better Business Bureau about this company (search company & use 90248, if you want to view the compalints about this company). One iindividual paid $11K and did not fix his original problem. Paid another plumber $ 65.00 to fix his original problem. Company tried to do the same thing with me with what they did to this other poor guy.

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  If you are as angry about this as I am, you'd find the energy for a fight. If you'd rather just cut your losses and be glad to be shut of them, I can understand that. I do suggest, however, that, after you have the problem fixed by someone honest and competent, you call up the first company and tell them that their tech is either inept or dishonest or both. The parent company may not be aware of the abuse, though I suspect they are, and in fact encourage it. They may offer to come make it right. I'd tell them you prefer not to deal with them and if they'd like you'd be happy to accept a refund, but don't want them in your home.
                  At this point I dont think calling the Local Company or the Main Company will do any good. I'll just file a complaint with BBB.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                    Just because the rooter co show up in a new truck loaded with all kinds of new tools to work with..
                    Doesn'T mean he knows what hes looking at
                    I really tried to do this the right way. I called a well established and well known company with the assumption that "Professional,Reliable & Honest" service will be provided. Maybe, i should have just called this guy who advertised in craigslist . Would have been alot more cheaper and maybe more "Professional".

Comment

drainers are like bankers. some are more reputable than others. breid..........

Comment

Originally posted by mrtoyman View Post
                        I really tried to do this the right way. I called a well established and well known company with the assumption that "Professional,Reliable & Honest" service will be provided. Maybe, i should have just called this guy who advertised in craigslist . Would have been alot more cheaper and maybe more "Professional".

The best thing to do, as with anything, is, as Rick said above, ask around to family, friends, co-workers, neighbors.

Mark's referral can be trusted I'm sure.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                        X