Looking for a pump?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a pump?

I have a 500 gallon tank with a 1.25" outlet at the bottom of it that I would like to empty in 5 minutes. (100 gallons a minute)

Pump will be freestanding on a concrete floor pumping with only about 20' of head pressure.

Any recommendations or experiences? And does a standing pump pull the liquid from the tank with virtually no head pressure? Is there a calculation in relation to outlet size, head pressure, and volume?

Thanks.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-17-2010, 05:25 PM.

Re: Looking for a pump?

Is it possible to move that much volume through an inch and a quarter valve in that amount of time?
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
      Is it possible to move that much volume through an inch and a quarter valve in that amount of time?
      Same thing I'm trying to answer.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I don't think it's possible. My portable toilet trucks have a 2 inch dump on the water tanks which the biggest is 300 gallons. When we dump the water out of them it seems like it takes longer than 5 minutes. I've never timed it but it think it takes around 15 minutes. Also when we dump them, they are not full as it's after the route has been done. This is gravity though. You'd have to draw the water out of the tank, but I don't think the size of the outlet is big enough to get that kind of flow.

Comment

The waste tank dump is 3 inch and gravity/head pressure takes longer to dump than 5 minutes for 500 gallons. I don't know if that helps or not!

Comment

do you have a drain that will handle 100 gpm? other than that i would actually just put a big air compressor on the top of the tank and blow it out. If you do pump from the bottom make sure you have at least a 1.25 air inlet on top so the tank doesn't crush, assuming its a sealed vessel

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
              The waste tank dump is 3 inch and gravity/head pressure takes longer to dump than 5 minutes for 500 gallons. I don't know if that helps or not!
              You don't reverse the pump? We reverse the pump.

J.C.

Comment

no

not without a helluva lot of pressure

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pv...oss-d_802.html

the 1 1/4" table doesn't even go above 50 gpm, and at that rate, you loose 30' of head per 100' of pipe. That's straight pipe, no fittings, bends, valves.

most small submersible centrifugal sump pumps wont make 30' of head. you've got 20' of head before any friction losses.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  You don't reverse the pump? We reverse the pump.

J.C.
                  I can't make pressure on my flatbed tank. It's not built for pressure and the vaccuum popoffs are set real low.

Not after a couple of oopses with hose coming out of the tank. I can at one treatment plant with the septic trucks. 6" valve with pressure make's it pretty quick. The toilet trucks dump into a holding tank though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    no

not without a helluva lot of pressure

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pv...oss-d_802.html

the 1 1/4" table doesn't even go above 50 gpm, and at that rate, you loose 30' of head per 100' of pipe. That's straight pipe, no fittings, bends, valves.

most small submersible centrifugal sump pumps wont make 30' of head. you've got 20' of head before any friction losses.
                    Based on those tables it would appear I need a 3" line and comparable pump.

J.C.

Comment

what are you wanting to do?
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                        what are you wanting to do?
                        Remove 500 gallons from a tank as quickly as possible. It appears currently to be tapped at the bottom with an 1.25" line & pump but the turnover time is unsatisfactory.

Here's a pic that I'm sure will be no help. The installer put things in with the information plate against the wall as you can see.

Looks like a Grundfos E series pump but I can't get any other information on the pump or electric motor driving it without dismantling things.

Don't want to dismantle things until I'm ready to change things.

J.C.
                        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Can you change the bulk head fitting on the tank to a larger size?

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                            Can you change the bulk head fitting on the tank to a larger size?
                            I'm sure it could be done. Have to get a welder in there. I'm no welder. Might be the way I have to head.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Would a submersible work?

Tsurumi Pumps Submersible Water Pump — 3810 GPH, 2/3 HP, 2in., Model# LB4-80

Compact; excellent motor cooling efficiency. Allows continuous duty operation at low water levels, plus extended dry run capability. V-ring system protects shaft seal from abrasives. Silicon carbide-faced mechanical seal. 2in. discharge bore. Includes 32ft. cable. Not for use in
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X