Grounding a gas meter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding a gas meter

I just got a one-off call from an architect about a house they designed and built (I only do commercial, or else i'd look it up) and he told me that the plumber did not ground the gas line/meter, among other things. He also told me that the house was built under the 1999 "standard" code? Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Can anyone clarify this for me? The house is in east tennessee, and I don't have a copy of that code (is that the actual name of the code?).

I told him that I've never seen a meter that wasn't grounded, and I haven't... but then again... I don't do residential.

Someone help me keep a client happy!

Re: Grounding a gas meter

csst?

Comment

no csst in the system

Comment

I would think you wouldn't use gas pipe for grounding.
        Last edited by stokefire7; 01-19-2010, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I've seen grounds applied for one inspector and removed for another. Don't quote me, but I think grounding is only an issue when the gas pipe enters, then leaves a building, as if to feed another unit/building. also, I think the input and output of a gas meter must be bonded when the meter is located in the home/basement.

I can't imagine a 6AWG ground and ground rod is going to have a lower impedance than the gas line coming to the premise.

Comment

the electricians always bonded our gas lines to our water lines. it was their inspection and not ours. city of los angeles for the most part.

rick,
            phoebe it is

Comment

It always amazes Me that Many never have a sit down with the Plumbing inspector on their project.
              Some have been difficult, but all have answered My Questions.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

like rick stated thats the sparkys job..

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
                  like rick stated thats the sparkys job..
                  On a W.H. replacement , would You bring in an Electrician to do the bonding?
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    On a W.H. replacement , would You bring in an Electrician to do the bonding?

tool, of the thousands of heaters i've installed and replaced, both in new construction and service. i've yet to see 1 that had a jumper wire/ bond between the hot and cold. remember that the hot and cold are also common at every tub or shower valve.

the stainless corrugated flexes don't have a dielectric isolator either.

do you guys require a bond at the heater

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

A phone chat with the Authority Having Jurisdiction might clear things up.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        tool, of the thousands of heaters i've installed and replaced, both in new construction and service. i've yet to see 1 that had a jumper wire/ bond between the hot and cold. rick.
                        I see bonded (hot, cold and gas) heaters all the time. Of course, the ones I see bonded are new installs, not replacements.

Comment

Rick, I've only done it in Tiberon Ca.I think . This was some Years ago on a large remodel. I may have got it from a code check plumbing book. I'll find out in a few days. I'm almost 67 and memory is slipping

Comment

Originally posted by plumbus View Post
                            i see bonded (hot, cold and gas) heaters all the time. Of course, the ones i see bonded are new installs, not replacements.
                            required in your hood?

Comment

Working...
                            X