X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub pump probs

First off, want to say hi since I am new here.

My name is Joe and have been in the construction field for about 23 yrs.

Now my problem...

My home pump (submersible 110V) is not pumping up to pressure, started overnite I believe. The fuses are not tripped, there is power going to the splices, the pump DOES pump, but for about 3 minutes before it doesn't pump, but you can still feel the pipe vibrating, but the pressure does not come up any higher.

If I shut the pump off, go have a cup of coffee, come back and flip it on, it will start pumping again bringing the pressure up about 5-7 lbs on the gauge and then thats it. (NOTE: it will get to shut off pressure after doing this over and over) I'm thinking the static water level is low, but find that hard to believe since I almost live in a swamp.

Of course there is no control box since it is 110vac, but if anyone has an idea if it's the pump, (which I'm thinking it is and don't feel like pulling it ) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Last edited by JoeBar14; 01-20-2010, 02:07 PM.

Re: Sub pump probs

hole in pipe,
    impeller or coupling wore out or sliping, (I have that that happen),

but I would look for holes in the pipe,

low water table could be a possiblity,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I will agree with BHD,

Your going to probably have to pull the pump and check the discharge pipe and the impeller.

It sucks, But that most likely is your issue,

Sorry to break the bad news
      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
      New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Thanks guys,

I had that sour feeling that I'm going to have to pull it up.

Well at least it's only 125ft, but a PITA to get near since its close to the house.

I just hope the ol'can o worms isn't going to open pulling it out.

Joe

Comment

It wouldn't be a hole in the pipe or it would hold a steady pressure depending on the hole size. Pumping for a couple minutes then quitting for a while sounds more like the water level.

What you have for water above ground has nothing whatsoever to do with a deep well's water level.

Winter time, less rain. Water tables drop. Here in Florida it happens everytime the Farmers do heavy pumping during a freeze to protect the crops. It also happens in a very dry year.

I can tell you this much, running a pump dry for any period of time will certainly damage if not ruin it. And that period is quite short.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

wells

bump is correct. our water pressure is down. happens every winter and summer. we have a shallow well so we just lose pressure do to longer draw for water. you can burn up a pump in a new york second running it dry. need to have a well person look at it, maybe pump can be lowered in well. if you get it to close to the bottom you will suck the sediment from the bottom of the well. that ain't good either. breid.................

Comment

Well here is an update fellahs....

I waited a day before I started yanking anything just to see what happens. Well, the next morning I started the pump and she came up to pressure and clicked off. Now at this point I was still a bit leary on leaving the pump "on" so I just kept manually turning it on when it called for it. It came up to pressure everytime, so yesterday I kept it "on" and so far so good.

Now if my memory serves me correct, last year this sort of happened.
              Let me explain "sort of". In January or Feb, I can't remember which month, I remember the water getting a gray tint to it and smelling really bad. Oh yeah, we do have a sulfur bed around here. We have a charcoal filter hooked up in the line and I thought it was that so I bypassed it. The water cleared up a day later and smelled better. Then about a week later I turned it back into service and water was still fine.

My question is, why would this happen in the winter instead of the end of the summer when it's dryest out? Secondly, I will pull the pump when it craps out. So far so good. I'm one of those "if it aint broke, don't f___k with it". I'm just wondering if there was any drilling going on nearby that may have popped a stream. More than likely the saturation level is down.

Well thanks agian guys.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBar14 View Post
                My question is, why would this happen in the winter instead of the end of the summer when it's dryest out?
                Your making an assumption that current surface conditions have anything to do with the conditions in the well. That is not a safe assumption to do on drilled wells. Water in the well does not necessary correlate to the surface in that way. For example your well could run dry during a particular month because 10 years ago 100 miles from you was drought conditions and that's the rate at which waters gets to your well from that area.

Comment

joe bar. i've used a bunch of them in my life. lol.

one reason you lose some of the water table in the winter is that the ground is frozen in connecticut in the winter. all the surface precipitation runs off. the rivers get it.................. boy is right also, sometimes water migrates laterally for great distances. when water table is lower it is easier to suck air. that ain't good, fast................... i hate to be redundant but, HIRE A WELL GUY. it's like the fram man say's "pay me now or pay me later". later is very expensive. breid..............

Comment

The guys have it pegged. Never assume what's going on above ground has anything to do with what's going on underground.

The grey water could have simply beem minerals off the pipes. When the pressure gets unusually low, or non existant then turned back up, this happens naturally.

Comment

Hey all,

Pump is still going stong here.

But... I may be in for trouble.

Seems like my next door neighbor is having the same problem and now is having his well cable drilled. Is this the end of my well now? This just doesn't end.

If there are any drillers, ex-drillers, or people who could give me some insight on this matter, it would be great!

Joe

Comment

If there are any drillers, ex-drillers, or people who could give me some insight on this matter, it would be great!
                        That would be me.

It's usually hard to get a driller to run his tools into another drillers well. But what they are doing is probably deepening the well so the pump can be lowered further into the water to keep it from running dry. If it works for your neighbor, I recommend you getting the same guy to do yours as well.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                          That would be me.

If it works for your neighbor, I recommend you getting the same guy to do yours as well.

When I bought this house 12 yrs ago, the owner told us the well was 120ft. Neighbors well, (whos getting cable drilled) is supposed tp by 60 ft.

So, if they dig to my level, will I run dry? And, will insurance pay for this since I didn't cause this problem.

Comment

No, it won't have any effect on your well. If yours IS 120 and theirs is 60 and yours is running low on water. Their well must be dry.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                              No, it won't have any effect on your well. If yours IS 120 and theirs is 60 and yours is running low on water. Their well must be dry.
                              That's understandable.

But my question was if they drill lower than me, (lets say 140ft) am I going to be the one without water now or is what a few people said about your water coming from 100 miles away be my saviour

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X